Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

PIONEER 717

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cinders, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Cinders

Cinders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this still a good DVD player? I bought one when it first came out and the picture quality was excellent. Recently I have upgraded from a 28" 4:3 to a 36" 16:9 (sony kv36ds70) and the picture quality is still good.

I'm just wondering if it's worth upgrading to a newer dvd player, for a better picture, or are they still on the same par?...

Thanks, Matt.

2. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think the picture quality on the early Pioneer players was really good. I have just upgraded from a Pioneer 515 to a Rotel 995 and although the sound on DVD and especially CD is much better the picture is only a little sharper. The only reason I changed was because of the lip sync issues on R2 with early pioneers.

3. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just acquired a 717 and the picture quality is brillient imho, no lip sync issues either. By the way i think it was early firmware that had this issue, though cant be certain of that.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'd say save your money as it is a top rate player and will serve you for many years to come!
    Unless you have a particular need to feed a projector or just feel like a new one, keep it.
    The differences in players are not much to get too worried about. Improvements always come along, but if you're like me with a TV and normal set up (see Gallery), don't get hooked on upgrades for no reason. Fight the urge! :D

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    So what are you going to do?
    717 or something else. Just interested.

6. Cinders

Cinders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm going to stick with my 717 until the dvd's with progessive scan get cheaper!... The 717 should last a couple more years... I've just invested £2K in a 36fs70 so things are a bit tight at the moment! The 717 is still nice.

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Good decision Matt, the old 717 is a stonker of a machine, if i had to get another player tommorrow I'd try and get a 717 if there were any left - now hard to come by since the arrival of the 737, but an absolute peach of a machine. The only upgrade I would invisage would be to the Toshiba SD-900 now that looks nearly as nice as my 717.

The other thing you've got is a great hifi capable machine when you do upgrade to another machine, great for a second system somewhere around the house. I've added an external DAC for hifi duties and the whole rig just blows my away both in Hifi/AV. I've also swapped out the player for a Sony 735 and the Pioneer is a much better performer.

Great to see this machine still turning up in the forum, well good compared to a lot of the other players that seem to litter the forum with problems.

8. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 919 which I beleive is somwhat simmilar to the 717 fo CD and I must say that the CD quality is great which is more than can be said for almost any other DVD player.
    I understand that the 717 has better jitter than the 737 for CD playback which I believe is one of the main problems ov DVD players regarding CD playback. This problem will not be rectified by using an outboard dac.
    I say keep the 717. ;) :D :cool: :p