Pioneer 717 Has No RGB Pass Thru

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kevo, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    After using a SCART switch box for my DVD, Cable STB and PSX I thought I'd try and use the SCART Pass thru on my DVD player so as to free up the switch box.

So I had the SCART coming out of teh STB and into AV2 (Input) on the DVD.

But to my dis-belief the SCART input on the Pioneer 717 is COMPOSITE only. It even says so in the manual (pg 30), which I found out afterwards.

WTF !! What is the point of that ??

Why no RGB??
    Surely, all it means is a few extras wires connecting the R, G and B pins between the two sockets (that shouldn't cost much).

(I think I'll have a go at this myself, anybody done this !)

And it's not as if any switching is needed between RGB and Composite, so I am baffled to why it is Composite only.

Both my VCRs have SCART Pass thru sockets and they can handle both types of signal.

Are all Pioneer 717s like this, or just a particular batch ?

Just what is it with manufactures when it comes to RGB and S-video sockets !!!

They seem so reluctant to go that extra little bit....

TVs with only one RGB and S-video SCART input

TVs with no S-video Out

STBs with no S-Video Out

D-VHS VCRS with no RGB input

S-VHS with only one S-video input (and NEVER at the rear)

DVDs with no RGB Pass Thru

Have I missed any? (feel free to add to the list)

2. S

S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It's not quite that simple I'm afraid.

You need to ensure that only one device is driving each line at any one time; i.e. you would need to isolate / float the RGB outputs on the DVD when viewing your STB.

I would just connect the STB and the DVD the other way around. The STB will almost definitely have RGB pass-through.

For set-up suggestions, have a look at:

http://212.250.57.206/

(select any DVD player under Products and click on 'Connectivity Information & Diagrams')

For more information on SCART, and why the SCARTs on most TVs are the way they are, have a look at:

http://www.par.univie.ac.at/~bob/video/scart/scart.html

3. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi,

I`ve had this player now for 2 years and had always thought that the purpose of the AV2 scart was so that you could loopthrough to the AV1 scart a RGB signal - basically because most tv`s only have one RGB capable scart. When I read your posting it was a shock to the system as I had intended to put my stb thru like yours when I get it soon. On reading the manual it does say that the AV2 scart does not OUTPUT a RGB/S-vid signal but does that mean that it can`t loopthrough a RGB signal to the AV1 scart. Perhaps in future tests performed by the mags. can say whether RGB loopthrough is available on machines with 2 scarts. I would have thought this would have been done considering that most tv`s have only 1 rgb scart.

Stuart

4. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Ok,

I`ve just recieved an e-mail from Pioneer saying that it is possible to loop through an RGB signal from AV2 - AV1. I am not a happy bunny as I have ordered a new player - Pioneer 737 - on the strength that the 717 could not perform the loopthrough. I had checked all the reports and tests that I could find and none of them specifically said that an RGB loopthrough was possible. Even on the Pioneer GB web site they did not list that an RGB loopthrough was possible on the 717 - only on the 737 and 636.
    My missus will do her nut if she finds out - oops!!!
    I have a further contact no if anyone wants to clarify this -01753 789500 Customer Relations at Pioneer GB.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

5. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Chaps,

You cannot send a RGB signal through AV2 to AV1, I tried it several times on my old 717. I bought a Quattro scart switcher for £65 instead and now I have a Toshiba SD900 which only has one scart anyway.

Now the bad news........Videotec will modify the DV717 to enable the loopthrough for £70 (hence why I bought a scart switcher).

Stupot43.....at least you'll have a better player! No lip sync issues too.

Hope this helps,

Damian

P.S. www.videotec.co.uk

:p

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Why couldn't the 717 have RGB pass-thru enabled in the first place.
    What's the big deal, after all you get this feature with a bog standard VHS VCR.

7. master

master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the ideal solution then ?
    Adapt my dvd the pioneer 717 or buy a switching box

Videotec will modify the DV717 to enable the loopthrough for £70 or buy a quattro for £74 from www.beyondhifi.net/ btw.

8. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    If it were me, I would opt for the 717 upgrade simply because its integrated into the system and it is one less box to have around.
    Mind you the 737 that I bought is a cracking player with multiregion and macrovision disabled, and you can adjust so many perimeters,it`s easy to get lost.