Pioneer 717...can they still cut it today?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paulr, Dec 8, 2003.

1. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Hi
    I was going to get a cheap dvd player from Currys for around £100 for my bedroom,then suddenly thought about getting a used Pioneer 717 for around the same price.

1.Is it still a good player by todays standards?
    2.Was there really those lipsync problems?
    3.Does it play DVD-R's?

Anyone owned one here?....

2. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Had one, and it's excellent. Certainly plays DVD+R and +RW, which I write myself. Don't see why it wouldn't play -R and -RW as well. Never noticed lipsync on mine. I replaced it with 757Ai, and although the prog scan makes a small difference on plasma, it's certainly not a huge difference. And the 717 just looks so bombproof :).

Then again, I'm selling one, so I would say that. The forsale notice dropped off a while ago, but I've still got it - never got round to ebaying. Shameless plug. See here. :devil:

Andrew

Oh, and I've just noticed you're North Lincs, so you wouldn't even have to travel that far :) - I'm on Notts/Lincs border nr Newark.

3. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got one at the mo, plays great except they seem to suffer from a noisy drive (few ppl I have spoken to confirm this).

Was a flagship player few years ago, picture and sound are excellent and prolly better than an 'unknown' cheap player. I'll be using mine for a while longer until I have the spare readies to get a Denon2900 or summin (needs to be big like 717 to fill shelf space).

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Had mine for four years now and still going strong.

About to purchase a DVD recorder but the Pioneer will still remain as my main player. In fact I'd be very reluctant to upgrade it (unless I really had to).

5. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also got a recorder (Panny HS2) but even though it's quieter on the motor front I still use the Pio717 for playback of audio cd's and dvd's.

6. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had one and wish I'd never changed it. But I was using it on a relatively small (32-inch) screen. Newer/more expensive ones might make a difference on a big screen.