Pioneer 717 as CD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Droogie 2001, May 6, 2002.

1. Droogie 2001

Droogie 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I currently own a Pioneer 717 DVD player which is hooked upto a Denon 3802 Receiver and some Kef 2005 Eggs.
    Whilst I am pleased with the sound it creates for movies, I am wanting to get the music quality of CD's upto a better level.

I have a budget of £200 for a CD player. But will this truly raise the quality of CD playback much higher? Enough to warrant spending £200 or should I invest in decent quality Interconnect cables?
    Something like QED Silver Spiral which I can get for around £70?
    The current interconnects I have are OK and cost me £25 about 10 years ago!

As I say I dont want to buy a CD player if it not going to raise the quality very much.
    This brings me onto my next question as I know people will say the DACS in a CD player are better, but the Pioneer 717 was not a bad player (or so the magazines say) as a CD player.
    Would it be best to run the CD's through the receiver via CD Direct, Stereo CD or use the receivers DACS and run through DVD Direct or DVD Stereo so that the signal goes through the Coxial cable I have (which is a £30 IXOS)
    I have tried to switching between the two whilst listening CD's and I must say I cannot hear much if any difference.
    Can anyone offer me some advice please!

Thanks

Mike Raggett

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I wouldn't bother going to any extra expense.
    The Pioneer 717 is a terrible CD player, I always stick to my 10 year old Sony CD Player and leave the Pioneer to what it's good at...playing DVDs.

Also, I've yet to hear decent 2-channel stereo out of an AV amp, but then again I've never spent more than £450 on one.

3. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same feeling with my set up and I was wondering about using a power amp. In the end I tried some analogue cables and used the DAC in my DVD and there was a distinct improvement in the sound. I'm not sure whether it is the amp or whether its the amp plus my monitor audio's making a rather harsher sound than I want.

I would suggest that you borrow some decent analogue cables first as it's a cheaper start!

NB Also try a search as I think CJ Cross uses the Pioneer as a CD transport and there has been a recent thread on using it with an external DAC. As he mostly frequents that other forum dedicated to HiFi he must be happy enough with it.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  5. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the DIRECT mode to listen to Pioneer 525 using the DVD's DAC and connecting with Kimber attenuated PBJ analogue interconnects. I am quite pleased with CD playback, which improved when I upgraded to the Denon 3802.

6. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spend most of my time over there, and CJ has recently bought a new DAC, along with many other members. This DAC is on special offer, from www.tagmclarenaudio.com. It's their DAC 20, and its being sold for £350, factory refurbished (but everyone who's bought one says they are like new) and originally retailed for about £1200. It should sort out your cd replay for good!

I would have bought one had I not already got a similar model.

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hey Feet what you doing over here ?

Mike

First of all yes the 717 is a good CDP (AFA-DVDP-AC) with its legato link processing I found it quite acceptable - a little lean & dry, it may not be the problem dude, I would point the finger at your speakers - the Kef Eggs whilst being very good at movies have an achilles heel in that they dont cope with music too well - this I've read from various owners after getting them for AV duties with a 5.1 amp. Then of course AV amps are not renowned for hifi perfromance you have one of the better ones but it could also be the problem.

But back to the 717 - I went for an upgrade to its onboard processing via an offboard DAC - The Musical Fidelity X-24K which cost me £200 (this is the same DAC section from the highly rated £800 X-Ray CDP) so for £200 (what your thinking of spending BTW) you get the DAC innards of a £800 CDP. FWIW I dont think you will get substantial improvements on the 717's CD performance below £500 on a int CDP, your better off buying a secondhand DAC there are loads about, in fact I sold the old DAC to finance my new Tag DAC 20 at £350 - this is the bargain of the century and one that would take you from £200 CDP's into the £2000 + CD player arena - a no brainer as they say in these parts.

Remember when you spend your next load of lolly on a int. CDP your also buying another transport you dont really need, the cost could be better spent on a DAC where you get more "sound per pound"

Are you streaming the 717 in PCM to the Denon when you listen to CD's - ie changing the output type on the players menu? Go over to the "Music" section and read a review I've done on adding a DAC to your DVD-V player. and dont believe the hype that DVD-V players are no good at hifi with a bit of tweaking you'll be enjoying your 717 for years to come - I've had mine 3 years.

8. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
  9. Droogie 2001

Droogie 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks to everyone for their input particularly CJROSS. I have since read up alot about DAC's and am particulary interested in them if it offers a substantial performance increase.
    However as I mentioned I have the Kef 2005 eggs which I know are not ideal for Musical play back but will an external DAC still be worth looking at?
    I guess only people with these eggs and an External DAC can truly answer this question but if there isn't anyone who has this setup what do you guys think of this potential setup?