Pioneer 696: how to use IDX/SUB files?

lapino

I have been using .SRT files all along, but now I have some movies that only came with .SUB/IDX files for subtitles. I tried burning these onto a DVD, but the subs don't seem to work. What do I do wrong? This is on the disk:

moviefilename.avi
moviefilename.sub
moviefilename.idx

lapino

I really don't see how that site will help me burn .sub files correctly on a DVD to display on my Pioneer 696. Note that I know how to do this for .SRT (make sure filenames are same), but for .SUB it doesn't seem to work.

aniki

I really don't see how that site will help me burn .sub files correctly on a DVD to display on my Pioneer 696. Note that I know how to do this for .SRT (make sure filenames are same), but for .SUB it doesn't seem to work.

If you look deep enough, that site will help you do just about anything video related ;)

The structure in your first post is correct. IE
filename.sub
filename.idx
filename.avi

This SHOULD work just fine, unless possibly the idx file is corrupt......
-
Few Questions:-
1. Does the Pioneer actually support SUB format?
If not you'll need to convert to SRT anyway.
2. Might seem a silly suggestion but are you pressing the subtitle key on your remote once the movie has started?
Unlike SRT's SUBS are rarely set display automatically.

lapino

I know it SHOULD work, but it doesn't. According to the manual, the 696 definitely supports SUB format. I don't think the files are corrupt, since they play fine on my pc.

And I did press the subtitle key :)

aniki

Could be that the subs are text based rather than bitmap based. Perhaps whichever they are is a type the player doesnt like...
I'm just throwing possibilities around.
Have you tried converting them to SRT anyway?

Greg Mandel

There are several sub-making programs that use the .sub suffix. Some will work correctly on the Pioneer 696, some will not. Without burning them to a DVD and testing them, it's impossible to know if they will work correctly. Sub files are mostly bitmaps, and so are more complex and varied than the equivalent .srt files (which are text).

You have two choices once you have tested your sub/idx files and found they do not work.

1. Convert them to SRT yourself. Depending on the exact format and the tools you use, it may be a mostly automatic or a mostly manual job. Tools like Subtitle Workshop or Subresync can do this.

2. Use one of the many sub download sites such as Subscene to download the subtitles in SRT format. You may need to use something like Subtitle workshop to join or tweak the files if there isn't one that already matches your requirements.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom