Pioneer 668vs868 video performance through HDMI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ggp159, Apr 20, 2004.

1. ggp159

ggp159

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if via HDMI this 2 players have the same video performance. Oh and i did search the forums and i haven't find a definitive answer. I want to know this because i have a 434 and i want to take advantage of the HDMI input given that my current dvd player is six years old!!!. Thanks

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    I havent seen these two side by side but am probably planning on getting an 868 when i find one in stock locally, that will probably be 2005 then. The main selling point for me is the fact that i have a pj and the 868 can upscale to 720p and output this via hdmi where as the 668 cannot.
    I am not that familier with plasmas but if your 434 is 720 native resolution then the 868 would be better.

3. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ggp159,

Have you considered the Yamakawa through DVI? Mine works through a DVI to HDMI lead and the player upscales to 720p as well (does 1080i too)

I wouldn't like to talk about the different picture qualities as I haven't seen much of the 868 but I am duly impressed with this player as I have also recently upgraded from an old machine!
    :hiya:

4. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The difference is the 868 can give HDMI output up to 720p and 1080i, that means it has a more powerfull scaler inside because the 668 can give only 480p and 576p so the difference is quite big.
    Go for the 868 hope i helped.

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    the 868i also passes an Interlaced signal via HDMI, which will be great for an pic improvment when external HDMI scalers/deinterlacers become available.