1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 668 opinon or similar

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Spooky, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Looking at buying one of these , cant quite stretch to the 868. Anyone use one for a normal 32" TV and plasma.
    At the mo using a CRT panasonic television but ideally looking to upgrade that later in the year (said that before ........) Would be replacing the venerable 545 pioneer that has never missed a beat. Would the 668 be an improvement over the 545 in RGB as well as HDMI when the time comes? I take it the 668 cannot upscale to 1080i ?
    Any other player in the similar price bracket with the same features/build quality I should look at
    Spooks

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I had the 668 before I upgraded to my Denon 3910.

As a player it was fine, but the layer change was still obvious (especially now compared to the Denon). It has no form of upscaling built in so you won't get above 480/576P anyway.

It may be an idea to get a demo and compare to the Denon 2910, for example, as well as others in the price bracket you're looking at.

3. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh I gotta say I have looked into the 2910 and looks a good machine, will arrange to try and get a demo at my local ;) Never been a fan o Denon but if this gives a great picture who am I to argue.
    Spooks

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    The 668 is a good player. Lots of image altering options, video over Component with progressive scan looks great.

Problems:

1. Don't buy it if you plan to use RGB SCART output. The S-Video output quality from the player is very good, but RGB suffers from a streaking problem that's shown up on all but one of the TVs I've tried it on. None of the other video formats are affected.

2. Chroma Upsampling Error. Sometimes viewing animated DVDs in Progressive Scan is quite painful.

5. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Can't comment on the RGB problem as I only use mine via component, connected to an Hitachi ALIs plasma.

Picture is good with lots for picture enhancements (if required).

Can't say I've ever noticed the layer change being slower than other player I've auditioned.

SACD and DVD-A playback are excellent through by Pioneer D2011 receiver. Very warm and fluid with nice deep bass.

My only gripe is I have a problem with progressive scan output into the 42PMA400E plasma. When progressive is switched on I get one frame which jumps between scenes which are very dark and very bright. It only affects a handful of DVD's and seems to affect R2 more than R1. I've never been able to pin down if the the cause of the problem is the plasma or DVd player but I suspect if it probably the plasma's processing of a progressive image into an ALIS panel.

Not sure if the £500.00 price tab is really justified today unless you can get the 668 for less.

If you audition the Denon players, check for macro blocking....there is more about that in this forum if you search.

6. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Sorry wasn't very clear - the layer change isn't slower than your average player - but as the 2910 has a 2mb buffer and the 3910 has an 8 mb buffer, the layer change isn't noticable due to buffering.

As for macroblocking - I agree that some people have had problems, but personally, I haven't suffered.

As stated, the best thing you can do is demo the players such as the 668, 2910 etc. in the price bracket and draw your own conclusions as to which one you prefer.

7. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well spoke to my "local" today and hes tellin me that the 668 is prolly the better player of the 2 , but I will draw my own conclusions when I visit them next week.
    One thang that worries me about the pioneer (apart from RGB performance) is that its a 18 month old model and still at £500, is it justified, and as for the Denon... well never seen it but I have never been a Denon fan.
    Any other players im perhaps overlooking with similar spec to these in the same price bracket?
    Spooks

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I've only used the 668, but I'd be curious to know what reasons he gave for it being better?

9. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  10. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The build quality is very different in his opinon.
    Im still very interested in this player and he is getting one set up so i can demo it next week after getting back from the US (I have already downloaded the latest firmware just in case I go ahead and buy it).
    Spooks

11. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    From where did you download the firmware for the 668?

I've looked on the Pioneer web site and can't find anything.

Do you know what it is supposed to fix aswell.

Thanks.

12. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I wouldn't say the build quality of the 668 was anything special. It is certainly a lot better than the 575 I have kicking about, that for sure, but it's definitely not close to my 3910.

At the end of the day - if you demo the 668 and are more than happy with it, that's the most important thing. Personally, I'm glad I moved from the 668 to the 3910 - but that's my preference and while I don't mind sharing my opinion, I am not in any way forcing it on anyone as such.

The 668 isn't a bad player (if that's how I come across here) and I was happy with mine, until I changed it for my Denon.

13. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Apologies for not being clear, demoing the 2910 Denon and have the firmware for this player not the 668.
    Spooks

14. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

i cant see why you cant pick up an 868 or 3910 cheap here or on ebay. You can quite litrally save hundreds of pounds on ebay!??

ch