1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer 668 hdmi >dvi

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by philipbouscarle, Oct 21, 2004.

1. philipbouscarle

philipbouscarle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Runco CW43MC plasma screen which has a DVI input, which seems to need to be 480p from the literature. I bought a Pioneer 668 DVD player with an HDMI output, and a Wireworld Chroma 5 HDMI>DVI interconnect. If I connect the DVD player to the Plasma screen via component interconnects, I get a picture without problem. If I connect via the digital interconnect, I get nothing. The GUI for the DVD doesn't even recognize that there is a digital connection (the option for HDMI settings is greyed out.) I connected the DVD to the plasma with the power turned off so I know that is not the problem. I know that it is not a Good Idea to have two scalers working together, so is this causing the problem? Is there any way I can test the interconnect to eliminate this as the cause of the problem? Any help will be gratefully received!

PS Runco plasma screens are made in the US and details can be found on www.runco.com

Philip

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Philip

I take it you are using an NTSC disc (480P) - if your using a PAL disc the DV-668AV will be outputting 576P; or can you set the DVD player to always output 480P?

Best regards

Joe

3. philipbouscarle

philipbouscarle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think most dvds bought in the UK are PAL aren't they? So yes, I guess the player is outputting 576p. I cannot find anything in the DVD player's literature to indicate you can specify what it outputs. So is there a box of tricks I can buy to convert Pal to NTSC, or should I just forget the digital route and use component? I guess the reason for the plasma requiring 480p is that it is made in America and I think NTSC is the standard over there. Is that right?

Thanks for your help.

Philip

4. philipbouscarle

philipbouscarle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just checked on the internet and NTSC seems to output at 525 lines of which about 487 are used for picture and PAL outputs at 625/540. NTSC also seems to output at 60HZ and pal at 50HZ.

Does the "about 487" equate to the 480 in 480p?

Does the fact that one outputs at 50HZ and the other at 60HZ have any bearing on anything?

Sorry if these are noob questions, but this is not an area in which I have any expertise!

Philip

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    philip,

Looking at the spec sheet for your plasma, it states that the DVI input accepts 480p, 720p, and 1080i only - all at 60Hz I expect. It looks like you will be limited to NTSC DVDs using HDMI/DVI.

Steve

6. philipbouscarle

philipbouscarle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dutch,

I did find an imported DVD that worked on the DVI port (Blood Brothers by Bruce Springsteen) but the quality was pretty dreadful. But then, I think the original recording wasn't great anyway as it was filmed more as Fly on the wall type documentary, probably on a not-top-notch camera.

Next question then - Is NTSC generally as good quality as PAL, or does the fact that there are fewer lines output mean that definition will never be as high as PAL?

At least, I now know that it isn't the card in the DVD player or in the screen, or the cable that is broken.

With best wishes,

Philip

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Philip,

These days there isn't much to choose between PAL and NTSC DVDs as they are both usually mastered from HD tapes. In the early days of DVD, NTSC discs usually beat the PAL version despite having less lines of resolution. Hope this helps.

Steve

8. philipbouscarle

philipbouscarle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your input, Steve.

One last question, then I'll leave you alone:

Is there such a thing as a PAL>NTSC converter with HDMI or DVI sockets for input and output? (You see where I am going....) I've looked on the net and can only find converters that output to component.

Philip

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello Philip

A Lumagen VisionDVI will (with the latest firmware) allow you to input 576P(50) via HDMI (with HDCP) and then output via DVI (with HDCP) at 480P(60) or 720P(60); though the Firmware to enable this feature has only just been released so its un-tested as yet.

The conversion from 50 to 60Hz may make for some odd artefacts on panning shots - possibly Gordon (ConvergentAV - UK Lumagen Distributor) can try this feature as he's testing the Firmware this weekend.

The Lumagen VisionDVI also has Inputs and advanced Video Processing for any other video sources you have so although its an £800 addition to your set-up it offers a whole heap more than simply making your PAL DVD's compatible with your 'US' DVI Input.

Best regards

Joe

10. philipbouscarle

philipbouscarle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again, Joe.

Please keep me posted with findings re the firmware update and the results, though I really don't want to splash out another £800 if possible!

Philip