Pioneer 668/868 with my Sanyo Z3

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kinch, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Kinch

Kinch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Having been told there was very little difference between the 668/868 I was about to order the 668 - however having searched this forum I have gathered that the 668 has no scaler. One of the posters asked the question (to the effect of) "well why would you need a scaler anyway, are you a projector owner?"

The point was never followed up but I have recently bought a Sanyo Z3 and has decided on one of the pioneers for the HDMI input.

As you all no doubt know already the Z3 is 1080 capable and my understanding is that the scaler will "magically" upgrade the dvd image to match - this seems like a good thing to me but have I got the wrong end of the stick?

My trusty 626 broke recently and I'm currently using a very cheap player before making the new purchase and the picture is awful - very jagged lines, shimmerry eyc etc

What i'm (slowly) getting to is ... will the onboard scalere on the 868 give me a better picture than the 668? I find the jagged lines particulally disturbing - is this inevitable when a relatively low-res source such as dvd is blown up to 100"

Thanks a lot - All thoughts greatly appreciated

Kinch

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi :hiya:

Assuming I'm right that the Z3 is 1280x720 native then yes the 868 will be better than the 668 using its' 720p output, you'd not want to scale up to 1080.

Remember, a PAL DVD has 576 lines of video information, NTSC has 480, therefore to scale up to 720 lines pixels have to be 'created' out of thin air, video information which isn't present in the video stream on the DVD.

The scaler in the 868 is almost certainly better than that in your Z3, so outputting 720p from the player will bypass the Z3's scaler and give a better image as a result.

The "have you got a projector" comment shows a lack of understanding of this process because the principle applies to any digital display. :)

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,594
    Kinch

The key difference I find with the DV-868AVI over the DV-668AV is (oddly enough) to do with being able to Output a non scaled Interlaced signal from the DV-868AVi whereas the DV-668AV always outputs Progressive signals.

Its worthwhile having the ability to Output as unprocessed a signal as possible so you can see what your Display is capable of and also at some stage you may want to consider adding in an external Video Processor to your system.

Best regards

Joe

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I have the 668 as my initial understanding was that they were virtually the same machine (thanks what hi fi), then was kicking myself after reading these forums and finding out that the 868 has a scaler as well and can output unprocessed signals. Apart from that, the 668 is a cracking DVD player, only wish I had done a bit more research beforehand :(

5. Kinch

Kinch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys
    Thanks for taking the time to reply - I have decided to go with the 868 - if in doubt throw money at the problem :)
    Normally I go midrange of any range, however this time I thought I'd try the "flagship" for a change, then again that's probably the one to first get hit by the cannons

cheers
    Kinch

6. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    I have the 868 and I just want to know if it upscales automatically or do you need to go into the menu to set it up? :confused:

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I haven't seen a scaled image on a digital display (i.e. plasma) but would have thought that, given the size of the screen, the perceived improvement in pq would be less pronounced than over a pj?

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's the resolution that I was getting at. Obviously a low-res like those 8??x480 aren't going to see a big difference using a scaler (though obviously they could benefit from a decent deinterlacer), there are those 1024x768 where scaling can make a big difference.

You're right that screen size obviously makes it more visible, projecting at 92" tends to show up defects, but even a 50" plasma with a decent resolution can benefit from a dedicated scaler.