pioneer 668/868 or arcam dv79

HI, a question about pio 868. It's possible to output simultaneous signal from component output and hdmi. This is to feed a plasma and a projector.

Yes, this is exactly how my setup operates - Note though, that RGB from scart) is disabled when Component output is selected. This would only be an issue if you did not have HDMI display and wanted Component to feed say, a projector and RGB to feed TV

Thats my problem with pio 757.

Out of interest I have just had a chat with our DVD player designer about how this kind of dichotomy affects the Arcam DV79.

The answer is that the DV79 can output video simultaneously from both its HDMI and analogue output ports, provided they are the same type of video, i.e. both 480i, or both 480p, or both 576i, or both 576p. You can even run RGB down the HDMI line for DVI displays whilst outputting component video from the analogue sockets. On interlaced video the composite and s-video outputs will continue to work as well (there are 6 video DACs in the DV79); these outputs will of course be muted if progressive video is chosen.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

Can the HDMI output be connected to any DVI input, i heard some probelms, are they addressed?

In general, yes, provided that the DVI input on the display supports HDCP content protection. The signal must be sent as progressive video and in RGB format. Some displays have reference black at digital level 16 (correct for consumer DVD replay) - a few have reference black at digital level 0 (which is PC compliant). There is usually a menu item on the DVD player to alter this if you need to. Obviously no audio will get through as DVI does not support audio!

John Dawson (Arcam)

John Dawson said:
In general, yes, provided that the DVI input on the display supports HDCP content protection. The signal must be sent as progressive video and in RGB format. Some displays have reference black at digital level 16 (correct for consumer DVD replay) - a few have reference black at digital level 0 (which is PC compliant). There is usually a menu item on the DVD player to alter this if you need to. Obviously no audio will get through as DVI does not support audio!

John Dawson (Arcam)
I think my dvi is pc compliant, what happen if the dvd player can't adjust the digital level?

The picture will look slightly washed out as the signals the display gets never go down to what the display thinks is a true black level. You may still be able to compensate for this by altering the display's brightness (black level) control - or you may not....

The DV79 has this relevant adjustment in the service menu - it is set to black reference level 16 by default.

John Dawson (Arcam)

Anynone know if its possible in pio 868, adjust the black reference level.
I'm interested in pio868 over arcam because of ilink, i connected to an ax5i.

Just on going by the specification of the denon dvd3910 (see prev link in this thread), what is the consensus on how it will stack up against the pioneer 868. I'm talking in particular about the upconverted HDMI output from regular DVDs - am not too bothered about iLink or how many different discs sources it can read.
After seeing the effects of the 868's 720p/1080i output into a 434 screen a big hole is burning in my pocket, but the 3910 wont be out at my local hifi shop for me to demo bak2bak with the 868 until October!

Hi Guys, just to add my thoughts : I demo'd the Arcam and both Pioneer DVD players. I 'm not going to bore anyone with technical spec's (yawn, yawn, yawn) or how up-scaling won't make a scrap of difference on "low def" panels but in simple laymen’s terms the dv-868 slaughtered the dv-668 and was noticeably better in terms of sheer texture on most images when compared to the Arcam.Beleve me the images on the Dv-868 are stunning when running HDMI, in Star Wars(ep4) and the "Mummy" films you feel like you can actually count grains of sand!
If you want "i-link" look for machines which have "S400" data transfer speeds (S100 = 100Mb/s S200 = 200Mb/s S400 = 400Mb/s), both dv-757 and dv-868 have this.

WARNING : IF YOU ARE NOT PLANNING TO USE HDMI AND I-LINK DO NOT BUY THE DV-868 AS THE IMAGES IN S-VIDEO AND RGB ARE NOTHING OUTSTANDING!

FOR THE RECORD, I AM OUTPUTTING AN HDMI FEED TO A PIONEER PDP-434HDE USING A DV-868. THE PANEL SAYS "1120i" LINES - STAR WARS LOOKS LIKE IT WAS MADE YESTERDAY - SIMPLY STUNNING

I LOOKED AT EVERY PLASMA PANEL ON THE MARKET FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS AND NOTHING HAS THE EDGE DEFINITION OR LACK OF SOLARIZATION THAT PIONEER’S HAVE.
PANASONIC’S HAVE THE MOST “CRT” LIKE IMAGES BUT THEY ARE VERY SOFT LOOKING DUE TO THEIR LOW 468 HORIZONTAL RESOLUTION.

Sold my 868i as it realy dosent give me an image as good as the new 3910, which im finding to be an awesome DVD player. Its sound qualty is also better than the 868i.

Its also worth noting that using i-link dosent garentee a better sound quality than using the internal dacs of the dvd player. this is most true for SACD and CD.

In my case and the 868i it made sense to use the vsa-AX10is dacs with i-link as the dacs in the amp are superior to the 868`s but for lesser speced amps this might not be true and you would infact get a better sound via analog.

The scaler issue is also interesting. if you say own a panasonic SD panel there would not be much point in scaling the image via dvd player as all you would be doing is adding further scaling in the line.
for example pioneer 434 plasma has native res off 1024X768
dvd player will scale to 1280X720, panel then will have to rescale that to fit 1024X768. which is pointless and will probaly result in signal loss.

Now for a 50ins pio panel its native res is 1280X768 almost a match for upscaling dvd player(which do not add any extra information per line)of 1280X768. here you could well see an improvement in pic if the 868is scaler is indeed better than the panel.

Now where upscaling dvd players come into there own is with projectors that output a native res of 1280X720P so this would be a 1:1 pixel map and cuts out the PJs internal scaler. for me this results in a superb image as the path is kept clean digital.

:offtopic:

This is not HDMI but my new Pioneer 868AVi-S exibits strong horizontal banding with subtitles and red/blue writing on black background. The problem does not happens with S-Video and is neither due to the TV (I have tried different ones) nor to the DVD which works fine with my other Pioneer DVD-525 or with my Computer).

A very visible example is the red titles of "Blade" which are on black background, where a horizontal gray/greenish band is present

I suspect is a defect of the Player which is now going back for warraty repair...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom