Pioneer 656a picture quality issues on Hitachi C32WF727N

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jdanielp, Jun 7, 2003.

1. jdanielp

jdanielp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i finally upgraded my aging Alba DVD 103 and have just purchased a Pioneer 656a (with excellent service and speedy delivery from AVLand when stock finally arrived from Pioneer UK).

i got it all set up and have been playing around just now. i have to say that the sound quality for DVD and CD is excellent (i've not got any DVD-A or SACDs and not burnt an MP3 disc yet to test).

however i am a little dissapointed with the picture. if anything it seems to be worse in some ways that my Alba player, although there may well be issues with my Hitachi C32WF727N TV...

when running the TV in 120Hz mode the picture of Region 1 discs now looks decidedly 'jittery', that is it does not seem quite so smooth as if each frame is starting and stopping quickly rather than flowing along. if i switch down to 60Hz 'progressive' mode then it looks smoother but the picture is obviously a bit flickery...

also the picture from the Pioneer looks a bit jagged in places running in 120Hz (i.e., noticeable aliasing) in places, although the 60 Hz 'progressive' mode definitely helps to smooth this out (effectively providing a bit of anti-aliasing by adding extra lines).

has anyone else noticed these effects with the 656 and are there any options that can be fiddled around with on the Pioneer to help in any way? i am wondering whether these issues are noticeable now simply because the Pioneer is a better player so is showing up limitations with the picture quality of my TV ( i am aware that 100Hz TVs do have picture processing issues but i have most of the digital processing on the TV switched off).

finally i still have the problem that the top of the picture of Region 1 discs curve off the left a little which is most noticeable when there is a vertical line on screen which will bend to the left near the top of the screen. i was hoping this was a problem with the Alba player but i guess it must be something to do with the TV... does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this problem and has anyone got a similar problem with a Hitachi set? it's on a John Lewis 5 year guarantee so maybe if it is a defect then i could get it seen to without too many problems (although presumably they would want to take it away to look at it?)

apologies for the length of the post assuming anyone read this far... i got carried away again!

2. jdanielp

jdanielp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i had a look through the manual and i ended up trying changing the playback signal of the player. it was set on Auto by default (which is what i assumed would be the correct option, outputting a PAL signal for Region 2 and an NTSC signal for Region 1 discs both of which my TV claims to handle).

i tried changing it to PAL output (with some kind of NTSC to PAL conversion or something - not quite sure what exactly though) and now have noticed that the curvy top of the screen problem for Region 1 discs seems to be fixed. the TV still scans at a higher rater than with Region 2 discs though. should i have had to change this setting or is there something going on with my TV and NTSC playback? the 'jitter' factor still seems evident though.