Pioneer 656A lip synch on component?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GavinBrowne, Apr 18, 2004.

1. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I have a Pioneer 656A feeding an iscan ultra on component and then on to a Barco 708 Data. I have had the player for about 3 to 4 months and I am definitely seeing a lot of lip synch errors.

I am pretty sure it's the Pioneer as when I'm watching SKY everything is fine.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

And what do I buy as a better player? Top picture quality and being able to read DVDr discs is a must for me.

Cheers,

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Are you sure it's not because you haven't adjusted the audio delay? If you're putting the video through a scaler the conversion process can introduce a delay in the video signal compared to the audio.

Try connecting the 656 directly to the Barco and see if you still have the problem

3. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cerebros,

Thanks for the reply. I can't connect the player directly to the projector as it's a Barco and has to be fed via the line doubler.

To complete the story and report my findings, I bought an Arcam DV88 + today for a steal and it also shows the same lip synch error with the worst disc I have (Insomnia). At least I am now happy that it was not the player and it was a great excuse to upgrade my player ;-)

I had already connected up a cheapo Tesco player and it didn't have a lip synch problem but I am now assuming that it's a problem with the disc and the cheapo player does a better job because it is undoubtedly much less fussy with what is coming off the disc.

Cheers,

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The latest Arcam DV88Plus/89/27A player software (v4.18.0) has a user adjustable audio delay to compensate for video processing delays in your display or elsewhere.

If you don't have this SW (the version number pops up for a second or two on the left hand side of your display when you switch on the player), then your dealer will have the disc and can install this for you in minutes.

HTH.

John Dawson (Aarcam)

5. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    John,

Many thanks for your reply. I only have the shop demo player at the moment, but I should be getting my own new player from them tomorrow or Friday. I will definitely give this a try. I noticed in the manual that it says that the audio delay is not applicable for the DV88plus, but I presume this has changed with the latest software. With the shop's demo unit it is not active, but I assume it is a slightly older build. The version of software on the shop's demo player is listed as: 2.1.8.23.0 / LT75/02/FF I'm not quite sure which version that is?

Thanks again, I will keep you posted with my findings as soon as I have had a chance to try it out.

Regards,

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    That code is a very early release version and there have been a significant number of improvements and bug fixes since then.

I would appreciate it if you were to PM me the name of the shop concerned, as we need to let them know they need to update this.

Thanks,

John Dawson (Arcam)

7. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    John,

I collected my new player last night and everything is perfect now. The lip synch has been cured by the audio delay feature and the picture is absolutely fantastic!

Many thanks for taking the time to get involved personally. I really appreciate it and you have one very happy customer ;-)

Thanks,