1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 656A and SACD problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by VMAX, Jan 16, 2003.

1. VMAX

VMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Had no trouble with DVD-Audio or any SACD until today. Frankie Goes to Hollywood is fine and the menu says Multi channel area, but the Rolling Stones Singles collection comes up as 2 ch area only. I seem unable to access the SACD part of the disc, changing to Frankie that was still ok but all 3 of the Stones will only play in stereo. Any thoughts? VMax

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aren't the Rolling Stones SACDs 2 channel SACD? Not Multichannel?

Check the disk packaging to see if it is 2 channel only.

James

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are both Stereo & Multichannel SACD discs, with the discs varying between the two. The Rolling Stones' SACDs you mention are definitely Stereo SACD, so the sound's doing what it's supposed to. Try using some Dolby PLII processing on it if you want some surround.

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what the hell is the point of STEREO sacd or dvda?!

5. VMAX

VMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, you are right. They are Stereo SACD not multichannel, I had wrongly assumed there was a multichannel track as well. Never mind, the quality is far better than the mp3 Stones disc I had.:D VMax

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The point of any SACD is that it's far better than CD. The whole concept of CD was flawed in the first place and only now are we getting digital media that can come close to what we had 20 years ago with vinyl. It's about sound quality, the multi-channel bit is a bonus because there is enough room on the disk!

The stereo layer on a DVD-A is usually higher resolution than the multi-channel layer. You have to remember that not everyone has a full set of quality 5.1 speakers, in fact few people have. SACD and DVD-A needs to work for those who have stereo systems too or it would be doomed.

Now, on to SACD. Your player is probably set to default to multi-channel. So it will find that layer first. If the layer is not there it will play the stereo channel. Some disks have a few tracks in multi and all of them in stereo. The Sony demo disk is like this and I thought my machine was faulty when I first got it as it said 3 tracks on the disk but 10 on the label. Of course, I later worked out that I would have to select stereo to get the other tracks.

It's a little confusing to begin with but makes sense in the end. You will find that most SACD disks are stereo.

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see the multichannel aspect as the biggest selling point of dvda and sacd, not the fact that its encoded better.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    From what I remember ... SACD was initially a Stereo, High-Resolution replacement for CD ... it was only later that Sony (and Philips?) added the Multi-Channel capability to SACD (probably realising that there was only a limited market for 2ch High-Res stuff).

Victoria

9. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then you will be disappointed with Sony SACD releases ... most of what they have released to date is stereo.

10. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I was sceptical too, but a well recorded 2 channel sacd can be far more musical and higher fidelity than a poorly recorded/over produced multichannel sacd/dvd-a as I discovered in Uncle Eric's Bat Cave yesterday.
    He put on a Harry Connick stereo sacd that was about the most accurately placed sound image I have ever heard. Just the 2 channels and the sub.
    As I understand it the higher capacity of sacd and dvd-a allows a far smoother, "analoguey" recording that includes the once overlooked super high frequencies (up to 100khz) that although in themselves inaudible retain harmonics that are present in real life.
    Whatever the science bit, it sounded great, although I still don't see myself rushing out to buy loads of sacds/dvd-a's mainly because there aren't many by artists I like and I buy little music nowadays, mainly for the car.
    Thanks for the demo and your time Eric!