Pioneer 656 pic quality, s-video or RGB

Blofeld

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, i'm happy with my pic, but i crave perfection (at least as close i can get with a RPTV).

My kit is Pioneer 656a player, Sony KP-44px2 RPTV, Pioneer 5.1 system. Currently using RGB via Thor scart 3m. nice and crisp but doesn't leap out in a "I am a high bitrate DVD transfer, watch me" kind of way like my old kit used to with simple s-vid and 28" TV

Options are:

1. switch to s-video via same scart lead (can output s-video from 656 scart)
2. Switch to s-video and use s-video to scart lead (no audio to reduce interference)
3. Replace thor lead with high end lead like Supra av6 and carry on in RGB
4. stop messing and accept what i've got. I know part of it is that my image is so large all imperfections are magnified

I know that s-video out on some players (TAG/Tosh) is supposed to be much better than RGB due to conversion in player. Furthermore am using 3m distance and i have heard that s-video signals have a bit more umph over long distances? I know i'm being a bit obsessional and a lot of this is subjective, but its nice to experiment especially if i can get a gain of some significance.

Any help from bored videophiles appreciated

Here's a solution....throw the RPTV & DVD out of the window, buy a Barco 808, and a Tag Mclaren DVD32R. :)

You have to keep S-Video lengths short. You can use longer cables for RGB and component.

You're not gonna get better picture quality than the Pioneer's DVD RGB SCART.

interesting, thanks.

What about upgrading the RGB lead to a Supra AV6? any experience with these over Thor anyone?

Found on my 656 - that RGB is actually better than Component out ! (Loewe TV) - what I can't understand is - has no-one else noticed the horrendous Chroma bug with this DVD -player (only on NTSC) - just watched Tron and it was appaulingly bad (Reds and Blues) - my old Pioneer 535 didn't do this - anyone else get this ?

PAL playback is absolutely perfect.

Mark.

ah, bugger. I was thinking about getting this player- only watch NTSC DVD's.

What decent player (£500) hasn't got this problem?

If you only watch NTSC DVDs then I really would not recommend this player ! As I said though - PAL playback is the best I've seen.

I will try and get a picture of the problem with my digital camera - although its hard to capture.

Thankfully only about 6 of my DVDs are NTSC - the other 100 odd are PAL so its not too much of a problem. Depends on the DVD - some show it up much worse than others.

I thought that if the Chroma bug was evident it would be on both PAL and NTSC ?

Mark.

Originally posted by Buckster
Found on my 656 - that RGB is actually better than Component out ! (Loewe TV) - what I can't understand is - has no-one else noticed the horrendous Chroma bug with this DVD -player (only on NTSC) - just watched Tron and it was appaulingly bad (Reds and Blues) - my old Pioneer 535 didn't do this - anyone else get this ?

PAL playback is absolutely perfect.

Mark.

It must be a prob with your player....or the way your TV handles NTSC.......My 656 is perfect with NTSC through RGB scart on my 42" tosh RP.......maybe you never noticed it with the 636, because it might of been outputting Pal60.......

I had a tosh 520 before the pio 656 and to me the picture is a lot better.......and this includeds Toy Story 1+2 on NTSC.....loads of colours and no prob, what so ever.....evern the smeary bits in Saving Private Ryan look brill.

I had a pio 626 a little while ago (the tosh 520 replaced it) and although i think the 626 LOOKED better than the 656, the pic and sound are better on the 656.

I will have to get a componant cable soon and try that.

All in all, a BRILLIANT player.

Bukster, someone on the NG said Loewe component input is not true component, it converts to S-Video.

If yours does this, perhaps that's why your prefer RGB?

Nathan

Bukster, someone on the NG said Loewe component input is not true component, it converts to S-Video.

That's a new one!

Sometimes it can all depend on how good your TV is with RGB signals & how good your TV is with S-Video signals.

Sometimes it can all depend on how good your DVD is with RGB signals & how good your DVD is with S-Video signals.

In most cases RGB will be preferred, but i have seen some instances where the S-Video picture is BETTER

It could be argued that RGB offers the best colour rendition & S-Video offers better brightness/contrast rendition.

Well, argued by me anyway:D

But i reckon it depends on the above.

Adzman

Very true - definately RGB is better than component on this TV/DVD combo.

Well tried all sorts of settings to get rid of the "Chroma Bug" - changed my Loewe TV to interlaced mode - by changing some of the byte settings in the service menu - made no difference same problem.

Checked Pioneer player is outputting NTSC - set it to NTSC as NTSC.

See picture from Toy Story - shows the Chroma bug in operation. Note the weird patches at some of the red/blue intersections look much worse in operation as they actually flash !!!!! Also notice the jagged edges.

As I said PAL is perfect - and definately did not do with old player.

How could another Pioneer 656 not do this ? Could it be how the region mod was done ?

Mark.

www.mark-buckley.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/toy.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom