1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 656 or Philips 963 or HKDVD25??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mogli, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I am lost defeated and confused now... i thought i wanted a 656 and then i saw the 963 and now i have seen the hk 25 is also highly rated.

I dont have a progressive tv at the moment but i would like to be future proof to a certain extent.

Which of the above players provided the best rgb picture? Which is sonically the best?

Its too hard.. i would like to stretch to the 757 but not having a progressive tv (and seeing other upgrades as being more important really) i dont think its worth the extra expense (tis an amazing player though :) ).

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated :smashin:

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Mogli,
    Research this forum against these models carefully and in my opinion at least, go fro the 656 (or the 757 if you can afford)

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The 757 is great even on a non-progressive CRT display.

Yes the Philips and HK have PAL progressive scan ... but as you say you're TV isn't progressive scan.

The Pioneer on the other hand will play any and all disks (SACD as well as DVD-A) so in that sence its more future proof than either.

I've not compared the three players you meantioned so can't give a idea of which is best on RGB.

Vikki

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Vikki,

I'm pleased to hear that you're happy with your new 757 - I think it's a superb machine. :smoke: How about changing that sig now? :p

Steve

5. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mogli,

I went though all this dvd stuff a while back and decided on the Philips 963, it has issues do a search and you will find them but with a bit of tweaking here and there it can be set up to look fantastic. I have read that it outputs a very good interlaced picture but I cannot verify this as I use it Pal prog for my projector.

As for the sound department it sound very good indeed, I even use it as my cd player now as well.

Hope this helps.

Klippie.

6. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Thanks for your help everyone tis much appreciated :).