1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 656 on way from LE Concepts, any tips on setup .....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PapAV, Mar 26, 2003.

1. PapAV

PapAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'll be connecting it to a 36" Pixel Plus with a Sqart RGB cable and to a sony 940 amp with a Qunex Coaxial cable.

2. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Only tip is to actually read the owners manual, it will sound/look much better if you spend 5 mins to follow the instructions rather than just plug & play. :lesson:

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hey, thanks PapAV!! I've been looking for a 656 for a while, and LE are doing the best price I have found. I'd never heard of them before reading your post.
    [​IMG]

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi PapAV,

Don't forget to connect up the analogue 5.1 outputs from the 656 to your amp, or you won't be able to hear multi-channel sound from SACD and DVD-Audio discs. You also can't go wrong reading the manual as LDR suggests. Hope this helps.

Steve

5. PapAV

PapAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    analgoue connectors aswelll - arrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

so pray tell

what should i use?

Is it normal hifhi interconnects?

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

6. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    How come you need analogue connectors as well? My Sony 525 plays DVD-Audio discs through the digital co-ax lead into the amp, same as everything else. I'd be surprised if the Pioneer didn't do the same.

7. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I think you'll find that it only plays the dd 5.1 track and not the DVD Audio track...

AFAIK only some of the new high end decks like the 757 can pass a DVDA signal digitally.

8. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, as I said, my 3 year old Sony 525 plays DVD-A discs through the digital co-ax connection to my Yamaha A5. I have the Queen - A Night At The Opera DVD-A, which is DTS, and I have the Metallica Black Album, which is Dolby Digital, and both play through the digital connection.

I will be interested to see the outcome of this when the 656 arrives. How long was it between ordering and dispatch for you, PapAV?

9. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon,

Yes, your player will quite happily play DD 5.1 and DTS audio mixes via digital coax to your amp. However, it won't be sending the DVD-A (i.e. high res.) signal via coax. There is a difference.

Cheers

Ian

10. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for the clarification, but I'm still a little confused. :rolleyes:

My Sony 525 is connected to my Yamaha A5 ONLY by the digital coax. I have not used the analogue connections. When I play my Night At The Opera DVD-A, the amp displays DTS, and it certainly sounds like DTS (the sound is fantastic). Are you saying I'm still not getting the best signal, by not using the analogue 5.1 connections, or are you saying there is a difference between the Sony 525 and the Pioneer 656?

[​IMG]

Simon.

11. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    You are just not getting the "DVD-Audio" soundtrack that is encoded on the disc, so in effect, no, you are not getting the best out of the disc or the machine.

DVD-Audio and SACD are only available to you via phono (analogue) connections not Digital.

12. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon,

OK, you can buy multi channel audio CDs (SACD) and DVDs (both DVD-Video and DVD-Audio). We will ignore the SACD side for now.

OK, you have some DVD-Audio discs (we will ignore DVD-Video as I think everyone understands these). DVD-Audio discs will contain DVD-Audio tracks as a minimum. This is a high resolution and (usually) multi channel signal. Only DVD-Audio players (e.g. Pioneer 656) can "see" and decode these tracks. In addition, most DVD-Audio discs also contain a Dolby Digital 5.1 set of tracks and some also contain DTS tracks.

DVD-Audio tracks can only be decoded at the player (e.g. Pioneer 656) and the resultant analogue channels (all six of them) then need to be connected to an amp with multi-channel inputs.

DD5.1 and DTS tracks however, can be sent via the digital coax or digital optical, exactly the same as the audio portion of a normal DVD-Video.

SACD is similar in that the discs contain the SACD tracks, again high resolution and sometimes multi channel. Again, the player does the decoding and again the analogue outputs need to be connected to an amplifier. Similar to DVD-Audio, you often also get a set of normal CD tracks that can be played in any player. Again, these tracks can be sent to the amp via digital coax or digital optical.

In both the case of SACD and DVD-Audio, the packaging usually lists exactly what you have, e.g. a DD 5.1 mix, 2 channel PCM mix, and DVD-Audio mix etc.

Hope all that makes sense.

Cheers

Ian

13. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    OK, thanks Ian. Maplins online here I come! ;)

14. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi Simon,

You say you have a Sony 525 DVD player. I've just looked at this machine's specs and I can't see any mention of it being able to play SACDs, let alone DVD-Audio. I'm afraid Sony aren't in the DVD-A "camp". So I think you can cancel your Maplins order!

Steve

15. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Steve,

Perhaps you misread my posts above? I have a Sony 525 at the moment, but am awaiting delivery of a new Pioneer 656, hence my participation in this thread. ;)

The Sony 525 definitely played my Night At The Opera DVD-A, in DTS, through my Yamaha DSP-A5 amp, and it was definitely coming out of all 5.1 channels, and sounded amazing, especially stuff like The Prophet's Song, and Bohemian Rhapsody, which swirls all round the speakers, and sounds fantastic.

Maybe the Queen DVD-A is some sort of 'hybrid', but it does say on the box, it's designed to play on any DVD player. This would appear logical, as presumably the DTS soundtrack is the same as any other DTS DVD soundtrack, which will play on any system, subject to the presence of a DTS decoder, either built in to the DVD player (as in the case of the Pioneer), or the amp (as in the case currently with my Yam A5).

I have ordered a set of phono leads from Maplins to connect up the analogue 5.1 on the Pioneer 656, as was suggested on here, and is also recommended in the 656 handbook, which I downloaded from the Pioneer site.

The machine is waiting for collection at the couriers depot, as I was out when they tried to deliver it :mad: , so I will be collecting it tomorrow! Woohoo!!!! :D :D :D

16. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Dobly digital and DTS tracks are included on discs so that anyone with a DVD based AV system can listen to multichannel music in the same way they listen to their film soundtracks. However the whole point of the proper DVDA and SACD is that they are recorded at the higher resolution as well as having multi-channel output.

a normal dvd player will be able to read the dd and dts tracks and output them through the digital connection to the amp, just like would happen when watching a dvd.

it won't be able to read either the DVDA or SACD tracks on these discs, for that you need a dedicated DVDA or SACD player (like the pioneer 656, which is slightly rare seeing as it works with both formats) connected to the amp using the 5.1 analogue outputs on the back of the player and the 5.1 analogue inputs (hopefully your amp has these:rolleyes: ) on the back of your amp.

yes the 757ai can output DVDA and SACD digitally but not through a coax or optical cable, it uses the new i-link industry standard firewire.

17. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yup, Yamaha DSP A5 has the 5.1 analogue inputs.

Thanks for all the help guys - I know it's slow going but I think I understand now! :suicide: :rolleyes:

18. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    OK guys, got shiny new 656, all wired up and rearing to go, but....

As advised, I got the leads to connect the 5.1 analogue connections for DVD-A and SACD. Haven't got an SACD at the moment, but played my Queen - Night At The Opera DVD-A, through the analogue 5.1, as per instuctions in manual, and was frankly disappointed. No bass!! Well, I say "no bass", there is bass, and the subwoofer does wake up, but the DVD-A sound gives the sub a mere tickle, compared to the good kicking the DTS Digital sound delivers. Is this normal?

I've been through all the settings on the 656, and found the setting to adjust the speaker levels, but (also worrying), I can't get a peep out of the sub woofer with the 656 test tones, through the analogue 5.1 connections. I know the connection works, because the sub can just about be heard, with the volume turned right up, but why is it so much lower in volume than with the digital DD and DTS sound?

In essence, this makes the DTS sound on my NATO disc far superior than the 'proper' DVD-A sound, so if this is normal, I might as well have kept my Sony 525, and bought an additional SACD player from Richer Sounds for about £110!!

I know I'm probably not being very fair, commenting after testing only one disc, but I was expecting an even better sound than with the DTS soundtrack, and at the moment, I'm not impressed. Any advice appreciated.

[​IMG]