1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 656 / CD Audio any good ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by iwatkins, Dec 20, 2002.

1. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Looking to by a 656. By all accounts it is a cracking machine for DVD-Videos. I'm also interested in DVD-Audio and SACD hence this machine.

However, does anybody have comments on whether the sound from a standard Audio CD is any good ?

I know that a dedicated CD Player would be the way to go if it was that important, but I have room/missus constraints.

Thanks for any comments.

Cheers

Ian

2. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a DV656A, a Sony multi-changer & a NAD 541i all connected on digital links to my amp. The CD stereo audio quality of the DV656A is acceptable, but only average. The Sony is better and, of course, the NAD is best !

Don't let this put you off, though. The SACD & DVD-A modes (using the analogue outputs) are stunning, as is the video.

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Normally, to get good video AND good CD, you need to spend a little more...in the region of the Arcam DV88/DV88+ or Denon 3800 to get the best of both worlds...

All IMHO of course...

JJ

4. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the min im running the 656 in to a arcam avr200 by the analogue ouput and ok so it maybe not the best solution but CD play back for the price is amazing, certainly no slouch plus the video is pretty hot to boot.

For £300/350 asking price you really carnt go wrong

cheers
    lee

5. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chaps :)

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Excellent player,which loses little in terms of video or audio quality to things costing significantly more.
    Only thing you could possibly comment on is that the DVD 757i also comes equipped with a Firewire link for transmission of encrypted digital data(assuming you have processor capable of accepting it!...currently the only likely candidates are Denon,Pioneer and Tag with the AV192).

7. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only thing you could possibly comment on is that the DVD 757i also comes equipped with a Firewire link for transmission of encrypted digital data(assuming you have processor capable of accepting it!...currently the only likely candidates are Denon,Pioneer and Tag with the AV192).

alexs2 - Will they be 'standard' (e.g. could one plug a Denon DVD player into a Pioneer amp) or will each manufacturer develop their own digital interface for high-res audio?

Regards,

Jules.

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 757 uses iLink (Firewire) which is an industry standard connection and just coming in for AV. The only amp currently on the horizon with an iLnk input is the Pioneer AX10i. If more amps get this feature then the 757 should work with them.

Denon and Tag use their own proprietry link which I think is based on an RJ45 plug and as far as I am aware is not compatible with other brands. They are certainly not Firewire.

Steve

9. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even if they all use Firewire it doesn't necessarily follow that the software interfaces will be the same. Unless of course a standard has been agreed. Anyone know if this is the case?

Regards,

Jules

10. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is the intention although a much better solution is HDMI which can carry high res audio and video in one lead, like a high res digital scart. This is being developed right now and I guess will filter in during the next 2 years.

S