Pioneer 630H-S HDD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by carefactornil, Jun 23, 2005.

1. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't find any mentions of this unit on the forum.

This sounds exactly like the sort of thing I want, i.e. Ability to record TV, display photos and a CD jukebox. Price seems to be around £550ish.

Anyone got one and any comments about it (strengths/weaknesses)?

My only worry is the size of the drive (250G) - I'm concerned that it's not really enough if I want all my CDs on there (about 300).

2. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dont know whether you have seen the below

http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dvr630/dvr630.htm

Uncompressed your 300 albums would take up most, if not all of the HD.
    I take it the unit doesn't do compressed? (and you may not want to listen to compressed CDs').
    According to Avland the CDs go onto the HD in real time so by the time you have done all 300 the 500gig version will be out :D

3. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've had a look at the Manual (http://www.service.pioneer-eur.com/peeservice/RegistrInstrMan.nsf/search?openform&Modelnr=DVR-630) which goes into specifics about the Jukebox.

I don't think it's going to work for me for multiple reasons:

Firstly you can store your photos on it permanently - it can just browse them off a CD.

The jukebox is pretty limited in terms of functionality. You can't create playlists. It's sorting/searching methods are limited to genre, recently copied and most listened too (as well as alphabetically). Worse, you're going to have to enter all your album names and track titles just using a virtual keyboard and cursor keys! So the 500G drive would definitely be ready by the time I'd done that... :suicide:

I think for these jukeboxes on HDD then they're going to have to have connectivity to the internet so all this info can just be downloaded for you. The software that came with my MUVO MP3 player does exactly this.

Oh well. I guess I'll either end up getting a separate HDD recorder and jukebox (there's a few dedicated ones coming out now that look good), or some sort of media-enabled PC (not keen on that for a lot of reasons).

Also, an email from Pioneer said "You can save about 100 normal music tracks in 1GB, therefore if you have 300 albums with 15 tracks each you would use about 45GB for music". I'll admit I've never done this so I don't have any feel for how much compression affects quality of sound, but this Pio guy's maths doesn't seem to tally with yours? I couldn't see anything in the manual about compression and there's definitely no option when you're ripping the CDs.

4. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you can fit 100 "normal" tracks on 1GB this would suggest it is compressed (this would be about 6 albums), I can definatley say that my father has a dedicated Yamaha HD CD player "jukebox" and he has approx 100 uncompressed albums on the 80GB HD (full up) (Hence my earlier post as to approx 300 albums on about 240GB. No way will it fit 6 uncompressed albums on 1GB. Just my take on it, I would buy a dedicated CD HD, also sold by Avland, among others. Just my take :)

5. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which Yamaha? Any other recommendations (I know about Cambridge Audio's 640H)

6. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    http://www.avland.co.uk/cd/cdr.htm#cdr

The above (Yamaha CDH1500) is the latest incarnation. Dad has got the older model of this which had an 80gig HD and then later a 120gig (cant remember his model number but no longer do it anyway)

Regards

7. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    there's only one problem with the Yamaha CDH1500, it won't record TV or play DVDs!! :):)