Pioneer 626D Vs Toshiba 100E? Explain this!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DaBuzz, Jan 26, 2001.

1. DaBuzz

DaBuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Pioneer 626D since November 1999. It sounds great on movies and the picture is stunning! My Parents bought a Toshiba 100E for downstairs (My advice), this was last week.

Today i wanted to compare the Picture quality between the Pioneer 626D and the Toshiba 100E. I put the player on, expecting to see no difference. Well I was wrong, the Picture on the Tosh was much better. Less grain and better resolution, normally i can see the scan lines and jaggedness of them, not on the Tosh.

Toy Story 2 (NTSC) looked stunning on the Tosh, normally on my pioneer i can see ever so slight compression artifacts, the Tosh had none.

Then I turned my amp on to compare sound quality. The Opening Scene of Gladiator sounded miles better with the Tosh than my Pioneer! Sound was clearer, especially DTS (bass on Pioneer is better though), but overall surround effects were much more. Other movies turned out in a similar way.

As my Parents are not bothered about this sort of stuff, they allowed my to swap the players over. SO I DID!!! I then put on a music CD on MY Tosh, and how crap did it sound! Pile of Pants! My Pioneer was amazingly better for Music.

Well I now have my Inferior Pioneer 626D back, cause I like music too!

How is this possible? A £200 Toshiba 100E beats my £400 Pioneer 626D for movies by miles! I only bought the Pioneer over a year ago, its not time to swap yet! Have things really got that much better over a year?

Its amazing though, the Toshiba 100E made my Yamaha DSPa-595a sound as good as a DSP A2! Can anyone explain this? (No there is nothing wrong with my Pioneer 626D, as i tested my mates and its the same).

HQ Shielded Scart Cable and IXOS 105 Digital Coaxial were used!

[This message has been edited by DaBuzz (edited 26-01-2001).]

2. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer has twin laser for DVD and CD.
    The sound on DTS and Dolby digital uses the DVD laser and so is not affected by the lack of a special CD laser on the Tosh.

Hope this helps

3. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In all the tests Toshiba is rated as the best with pictures.
    It uses 540 lines while most other dvdplayer uses onlu 500 lines.
    So that helps it a lot.
    But it still is a budgetplayer unlike the 626 which is an midrange player with all it's extra enhancements.

If you are impressed with the sd100e picture you should think on buying the higher end toshiba's. They 'll give you good picture(same as on sd100e) and better sound.

The thing is i nearly bought the Sd100e,
    but with it's problems with RCE dvds. I chose not to buy it.
    (ps the more expensive toshplayers doesn't have this problem when modified)

4. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Excuse me. How do you mean the higher end Toshibas don't have this problem with RCE? Is there an RCE/Manual Selection fix for the Toshiba SD200 / 500 / 900 yet?

------------------
    M.J.