Pioneer 585a - XviD problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by scoggy, Jul 17, 2005.

1. scoggy

scoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just bought one of these from Pixmania. Have made it region free using a Pronto hack. Am pretty happy with it in general.

I have a small problem playing some DivX and XviD files though. I've made sure none of them have packed bitstream (I can confirm the 585, like its predecessor, plays packed bitstream files with jerky video). After playing fine for 10-20 minutes the picture slows right down and the sound continues, meaning it's all well and truly out of sync.

A quick rewind or fast forward gets the movie back in sync for another 10-20 minutes, and then I get the same problem again. It's quite annoying.

Does anyone else have one of these players? Do you have the same problem playing avi files, or is it a problem with my player?

2. thelawns

thelawns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I have the 575a and have noticed this on a few DVD's as well, not just avi files. Most can play fine all the way through but occasionally I get a problem one! I find that pausing and playing sorts it, but thats not really ideal is it!!

3. dondee123

dondee123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Just wondering what file you used to make the dv-585 region free via Pronto hack. Could you email me the file. I have a pda.

4. scoggy

scoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  5. GDion

GDion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I can confirm that this happens on 585a. Seems like a firmware problem. Not related to dvd-r writing speed/format (udf,iso etc). This wasn't regular on 575a, it just happened occationally. With 585a, it's defacto, every 15-20min. Annoying.

For region free operation, can also use this ready-made CCF template.

6. scoggy

scoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ah, that's annoying. I guess I'll have to wait for a fw update.

I emailed Pioneer Europe and got the following reply:

Aside from their criminal use of apostophes ( :) ) I'm not sure whether the files I was playing conform to the 'DivX Home Theater ' standard. They weren't created by me. Is there a piece of software I can use to check whether my avi files conform?

I think most of my files are XviD encoded. Are they saying the 585a won't play these files?

7. GDion

GDion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you say to Pioneer support that you're trying to play XViD videos, they won't tell you nothing cause they don't officially support XViD, only DivX.

8. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Check the files using Mpeg4modifier or GSpot to find out whether they are packedbitstream XVids. Mpeg4modifier can remove the packedbitsream fairly quickly. This program requires the .NET framework to run, I would recommend getting the nlite .NET runtime files if you don't want all that .NET crap on your PC so it is loaded only when needed.

9. scoggy

scoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, I've done that and they are not (or no longer) packed bitstream files. (I can confirm that the 585 has the same problem with packed bitstream files as the 575.)

As for GDion's comment about Pioneer not supoorting Xvid:
    Do you know where I can get a sizable (e.g. 30 minutes or over) DivX file from? The ones I see on torrent sites are Xvid. The only DivX files I have a fairly short.

If I can get a longer DivX video file I can see if I get the same problem with that. If I do I'll send the file to Pioneer and they can look into it.

10. zoro

zoro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is 585=588as US version?

11. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,372
    To be honest it seems to me that the guys at Pioneer know little about their players apart from what is written in the manual.

I emailed them after I got my DV470 and asked if it output PAL60hz which they told me it did but I can tell you it doesnt, when set to PAL it outputs PAL50hz and when set to NTSC it outputs NTSC60hz, they really should do abit of work as they just kept telling me it did but I have runs tests myself and if it was PAL60hz I wouldnt be able to record my NTSC discs to VHS.

Then second time I emailed them was regarding Divx/XviD files that wouldnt show up on the menu list, they asked me the same questions about the codecs used to create the files and what settings were used. I asked them if the name length would make a difference and they said no but after running a few tests I figured out that if I kept the file name length under 40 characters it would be displayed, I told them this and then they emailed me saying they knew about the file name length limit, funny as previous emails from them had said there was no problem.

Pioneer might make a good player but when it comes to technical problems they arent the best.

12. scoggy

scoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, as I understand it the European 585 is the same as the US 588. (In Australia it looks like it's the 686.)

13. zoro

zoro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, is there region hack for US version?