1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 585 - European model identical to UK?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Slimline, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I need a new DVD player and the Pioneer 585A seems to me the best bet in its price range (assuming it's an improvement on the 575A). It's not released for several weeks in the UK, but you can buy a European model from pixmania right now. I spoke to Pioneer, who said that the machine would probably be identical, with maybe some different connections and also a different power supply.

PSU is not a problem obviously, and it claims to have component connectors, which is what I'll need. Is it therefore safe to assume that I will get the same product from Pixmania as I would do from a UK retailer?

Also, the pixmania model is not multiregion. AVLand say theirs will be made multiregion using a remote hack. I've had a look round the net, and remote hacks seem to be extremely complicated process using Palm OS PDAs or modified PC motherboards. I have neither. The only other option seems to be using modded firmware. Does anybody have any views on the reliability of this (or alternative methods for freeing the set from region coding)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. GDion

GDion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There won't be a change in the connections, I'm pretty sure about that. Generally, it will be the same model, just Pioneer UK wants to sell any leftovers of 575a.

As for the power supply, it's not build in the player, so you can go to an electronics shop, buy a power cable with UK mains, connect it to the player & presto!

Now for the region, an other way is to use a Series 60 cell phone (like nokia 6600) & the program Psiloc Total IR Remote (10-day trial). You can then import the templates of CCF/Lirc (the ones that you mention for PDAs) to the program and send them to the player. I can assure you it works :thumbsup:

A quick review of the player, it's exact the same as 575a, only with different facial.

My final word, go for it!

3. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, thanks for the advice! That's pretty comprehensive. :D

4. thevolt5

thevolt5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Pioneer DV-585A-S support both DVD-R and all so DVD+R home movies.

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    As stated, the players sold are exactly the same all across Europe. The only difference is the UK power cord.