• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pioneer 575A video permanently monochrome...

D

dpitchford

Hi all

I've been using my Pioneer 575A fine for two months. Then a friend introduced a disc with a DIVx movie on it and from that moment on all output has been in black and white - from the screensaver, to the GUI to DVDs.

I have checked and changed all the cabling. Still B&W. No settings have been changed (I checked they hadn't defulted to something else) on the player or on the TV.

Help!

ReggieDaMole

Standard Member
Sounds like you are running a SVHS output into a Composite / RGB input. make sure you are using an svhs av input on your tv if you are using svhs out on your DVD player.

loz

Distinguished Member
somehow I imagine it has been switched to output s-video rather than RGB, and now your TV is treating the s-video as composite (all these are on the same SCART cable) and therefore only displaying the luminence information

D

dpitchford

Thanks very much for the replies. I have checked all the settings already and they are all the same as they were before (when it all worked fine, plain 'video' output etc), as is all the cabling (a SCART into an RF modulator and into my ancient TV - don't ask - and I have checked the RF modulator using the VCR and it's fine, no problem there). I'm thinking I may simply have a fault...

rickardl

dpitchford said:
Thanks very much for the replies. I have checked all the settings already and they are all the same as they were before (when it all worked fine, plain 'video' output etc), as is all the cabling (a SCART into an RF modulator and into my ancient TV - don't ask - and I have checked the RF modulator using the VCR and it's fine, no problem there). I'm thinking I may simply have a fault...
Does you TV/Display handle NTSC? I am wondering if that divx movie
set the player to NTSC and after that displays everything in NTSC which
looks B/W on a PAL display. Hold down the next-chapter button
on the front while pressing the power button to cycle through
the display options; AUTO, PAL and NTSC.

L

league67

while in standby, hold down stop button on front of dvd, and then turn it on.

D

dpitchford

Rickardl - you da man! That was the problem! D'oh. It was on Auto. I changed it to NTSC and now it all works fine. I have also ordered a firmware update from Pioneer. Many thanks for everyone's advice and thoughts - much appreciated.

NX3

The firmware takes a while to arrive from Pioneer. You can download it from AVLAND and burn yourself to cd.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom