Pioneer 575

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by garytreble, Oct 27, 2005.

1. garytreble

garytreble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hello

I'm looking for some advise on this player. I've got it hooked up to my Phillips 9986 LCD TV via the RGB Scart & all in all the picture quality is very good.

Then I go to my local comet store & see a DVD Player Samsung 950 that upscales the image, sound good so my question is;

Shall I buy the samsung for an extra 100 squid or so or use component leads instead of RGB on my pioneer.

I've looked at the forum & there's quite a few mixed responses regards the samsung so I'm not sure.

What would you recommend?

2. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've got a great dvd player.

Keep it or upgrade to something much better, and more expensive.
    The sammy is not worth it.

3. garytreble

garytreble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks, Have you got yours connected via RGB or component ? Is there any point in getting a set of component leads?

4. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    You should connect via component with progressive scan switched on - best picture option. :thumbsup:

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Martin.

5. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi Gary, Ive got the 575 connected with component leads with progressive scan on, the picture is great. My friend has just had the samsung 950 on dem from richer sounds and he bought it round to try at mine. We used component leads to connect it, and run it in 720p mode. It was a bas***d to set up. The picture was slightly better than the 575, but not better enough to make me want to change. Also the 950 only seems to come in black, which is against it in my system. My friend agreed and took it back. He is going to try the denon 1920 now at some time in the not to distant future!
    Hope this helps,
    Clyde.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Blimey! My Samsung 745 via component is way way inferior to the Pio 575. Looks like mush. Apparently Samsung deliberately put capacitors in the component signal path to make them look poor so that the HDMI/DVI looks relatively better...PJ

7. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well we definately observed a bit more depth and a touch cleaner definition. These were slight but noticable to a fussy bleeder like me. We couldnt use the hi def output as we had nothing compatible to plug it into. We bought a dvi to vga adapter but this didnt work, probably not compatible, so we used good quality component leads instead and set the machines and projector to progressive scan, which auto selects resolution 720p I believe.
    Regards,
    Clyde.

8. flangemonkey

flangemonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Turning on Prog. Scan will not necessarily give the best output! Depending on the quality of the scaler in your display, then the interlaced option might actually be the better option. I started a thread on this very phenomenon, and others agreed with me...

My Hitachi LCD prefers an interlaced signal via component - it looks a lot cleaner and far more detailed than progressive.

Still, the Pioneer's component output can't be bettered for the price IMO, it puts some players' HDMI/DVI outputs to shame...

9. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    It is the other way round for me. I output a progressive image from my 575 as the scaler in my Sanyo Z2 introduces a vertical banding effect to the image. With the 575 outputting progressive it is a much sharper image with no banding.

10. garytreble

garytreble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for all the replys, You've helped a lot......

I've decided to keep my 575 & I set-up with component leads last night. Wow.. what a picture improvement. It really shows off the quality of the phillips display. Can't wait for sky HD next year.