1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 575 - Some DVDs start film instead of menu?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by robo989, Jun 22, 2005.

1. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi,

Just recently got meself a pioneer 575 and gotta say its superb, I've always bought real cheappy players before and the upgrade to this especially on the fruityness and contrast of picture is excellent, my extremely cheap daewoo 3210E tv has terrible contrast so it helps out abit...

Anyway onto the problem...

*some* DVDs act quite strangly...

In a normal situation, you put the dvd in the player, disc spins up, main menu comes up on the screen...

But, some of my dvds although they have a main menu (press menu on the remote when the dvd is playing and it comes up)...instead it jumps straight to the main movie as if you've pressed "play" in the main menu...

I know its not a "fault" as such, its happened on a couple of other players but normally only with older titles that have been transferred to dvd...

Like...Scarface (not the special\annivesery edition) its got a very basic menu but it never appears unless you specifically press menu on the remote when its playing...

This behaviour occurs on....

Tomb Raider - the cradle of life R2
    Kevin and perry go large

and more just those are the 2 I remember that defo do, a few more outta my collection do as well though...

Just curious if this is "normal" and can put my mind at rest really...

Thank you for your input and help, Rob

p.s it doesn't *always* jump to the film on these dvds, like 80% the time it will, if I set the dvd to not load discs automatically in the dvd player setup then it doesn't usually happen...

I tried out tomb raider cradle of life on my old yamada 6600 and on that it works normally so its a bit confusing, the disc is fine and has no scratches\smudges whatsoever...

2. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have a number of discs that do this on my pio 515, and they are all discs with very basic menus.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    Some DVD's start at the film even if there is a menu. Also, the player might remember the disc being played before and start where it left off.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I've noticed this happening on some discs with all the DVD players I've owned, simply assumed it was the way the disc was "put together" - interesting that different DVD players may handle the same disc differently in this respect.

A simple prod on the menu key if required sorts it out so I've never really given it much thought...PJ :)

5. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Cheers,

Nah, its not a problem as such just was curious as to weather everyone else experiences this or not...

Just strange that the other player I currently have doesn't do this...

and the fact that it doesn't happen all the time and the disc is spotless...

Anyone else have anything to add on this?

thanks for your time everyone :)

Rob