1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 575 Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by vectrasri99, Dec 9, 2004.

1. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a very cheap (£120 multi region inc. RCE) the build is actually reasonable and doesn't look like a cheap plastic box well the remote does but it has the buttons nicely layed out.

Picture (via component)
    The picture is very bright on progressive scan although the colour set up is nice and natural. The interlace picture is less bright and has a more moddy film like look although I think this would need a tweak as a tad dull. The progressive scan is not very good and does leave jagged lines on the screen this was a supprise as my DCDi chip in my LG plasma removes almost all traces, the 575 makes it worse.

Colour is very rich almost giving an RGB warmth but at the clarity of a sharper component image.

Image 8/10
    Colour 9/10
    Sharpness 9/10
    Edges/PGS 5/10

Sound (DD & DTS)
    Great rear stearing and precission across all giving a very 3D feel but there is a lack of mid punch and upper clarity. Speech did feel lacking although it was never harsh sounding which can happen on bright (loud shouts). You could describe the sound as being very easy to listen to with a warming sound which is great across a range of matteral but would never give that wack in your face on a great recorded disc/scene.

Useability
    Very good this one and the speed @ which the machine jumps tracks etc. is excellent although you can hear the disc spinning very fast, infact the unit sounds much like a PC DVD drive. Layer skips are quick but why a few pence worth of ram buffering things up is abit was not included is anyones guess.

MP3 playback is very good as you can also move around the menus, look @ jpegs etc. whilst the music carries on. Also if you press home menu the unit outputs no picture which is nice and plasma friendly. Press the button again and select browse and the gui is back, again with the music playing.

Overall
    Cheap, multiregion, resonable good looks and build (well very good for the money) although to small for my liking as all the wires etc. can be seen through my glass stand.
    Great clean sharp picture only let down in my book by poor progressive scan.
    Easy listening sounds with a great 3D sound stage but just lacking the overall punch when required.

Closing
    The more I used the unit the more I'm sure the sounds started to get better and better. This is possible as things warm up etc. Also there are option for adjusting speach etc. I could adjust the amp as well but don't see why but I'm sure I could get the sound better with more time.
    Picture too is also configurable which a wealth of features so suit all tastes but there is nothing you can do about the progressive :-(

Well worth the money as long as progressive isn't the top on your list.

M

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,899
    I dont suppose you know how to get it to output a PAL60hz signal do you?

3. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I do but can't remember.
    It does say in the manual about outputing NTSC in pal. This to my knowledge is PAL 60

Its something about being in standby and holding then stop button etc.

I shall have a look @ lunch and get back to you.

m

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i have the same player and i find the progressive scan ok when using it on my a300 projector, i cant see any jaggies and it handled the opening scene of star trek inserection r1 very well.

5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,899
    I noticed in the manual about the different settings but it didnt say anything about PAL60hz, just that if you set the player to PAL it would output an NTSC source as PAL and when I tried this there was a slight stutter so I assumed it was converting to PAL50hz but to make sure I hooked up my player to my video recorder and tried recording some NTSC discs which have no macrovision because I read that you cant record a PAL60hz image on a normal video recorder. When I set the player to NTSC or AUTO the recorded image isnt pretty, it jumps and is in black and white but when I set the player to PAL it recorded fine so it must be outputting PAL50hz when set to PAL so if the player can output PAL60hz I dont know how to achieve it.

6. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Re. progressive scan, that's the problem I had on my unit, but only on PAL discs - jaggies still remained, despite the picture being sharper than interlaced. The scene early on where Shaun walks out of his house in Shaun Of The Dead (R2), and walks to the local off-licence was filled with jagged lines / flickering etc. Swapped for a Denon 2200, and all jaggies were gone. Otherwise the 575 is a great player.

7. RichieB

RichieB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Isn't this a fault with the machine???? Does NTSC cause the same problems? (Currently trying to decide between this one and the Philips 720)

Cheers

8. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Hi

No, NTSC was superb. Only affected PAL progressive signals.

9. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry indiana I can't help then.

Will check NTSC later for progressive (have played NTSC ok but was just testing RCE) and compare against PAL. Player is great for money but the almost non progressive PAL is a real shame and it states all over the box, web etc. that it does it.

My plasma makes a better job using the DCDi chip but progressive is just a bit sharper and better colour (strange) that I want to use it but spiderman 2 closing credits look terrible also scenes in Starwas II (phantom) could do with a bit more processing.

Are these machines @ fault?

M

10. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I have to say that I posted about this PAL issue a month or so ago, and many people seemed to have no problems playing PAL progressive, so it could just be that I had a dodgy player. But as Vectrisri99 also posted about the PAL problems, it could be that most people have better scalers on their TV's / Projectors, etc than the 575 has.

11. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

that could be it i have a a300 and it has onboard prcessing for progressive scan and when i watch films i can see very little difference in wether i switch progressive mode on the player to on or off, tried a few discs last night, one good one to try is seven the special edition, i tried my r1 disc an the best scene to you is the chapeter marke surrender where both morgan and brad walk along next to the precinct brick wall which has alot of straight edges and looks terrible when progressive is switched off, switch on progressive and the picture looks so much better. With my new a300 and 575 the scene looks ok with progressive switched on or as the onboard processing of the a300 works very well, however when tried with my old a100 there is a clear difference between interlaced an progressive.

I also tried my pal copy of armageddon special edition and in the opening scene up in space where the satellite opens its wings there is alot of straight edges i found that the picture was slightly better with progressive on the player switched off where as woth ntsc i could detect no differnece between an image with progressive on or off

12. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    umm are these players any good.

All I can say is that the progressive out is cracking in terms of colour and resolution but NTSC image correction is ok (nothing amazing) and PAL is rubbish.

I would prefer my plasma to do the processing as it does a better job but the colour and brightness is so so different if I turn interlace on.

Why is interlace so dark (noticable on the home menu screen), true I could adjust the screen and/or the player but why is it set so wayout.

Anyone else have a dark menu when selecting interlace compared to progressive?

Is a shame as I was just using my DVDR75 to playback films (gets ntsc colour wrong, to warm) but the overall image was great. Got a progressive player and now I have top colour and detail but with jagged lines which my eyes are being drawen to instead of watching the film. Sky has almost unnoticable lines even to the point that I never noticed and now I go looking.

Are these players actually doing progressive as it so likes to state on the front "Dual Cinematic Progressive" or something.

I do also get a random hickup sound from the speakers when mp3ing.

M

13. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I assume when the DVD player is set to progressive, it the DVD player doing the progressive scan?

How do you get the projector (I have a AE100) to do the progressive scan processing? I have a Sony NS585 which has a light on the front when using progressive and shows a 525P or a 625P in the AE100 menu

I have tested a 575 and at the time thought the progressive poicture was pretty amazing. I would have gone for a Pioneer 470 as I don't need the SACD/DVD-A but prefer the build quality of the NS585.

14. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    some projectors eg a300,500,&700 have built in deinterlacers so you can let the projector do the processing,the a100 has no deinterlacer so you have to feed it a progressive signal. I have the 575 and a a300 and i am very happy with the image i get, i have the progressive switched on and both pal & ntsc progressive looks very good and i dont see any jaggies,however even if i switch the off the pj does the deinterlacing and the image is also very good

15. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    OK, thank for that. I have been wondering about that for some time.

I have noticed some jaggies using PAL DVD's. It doesn't happen very often though.

16. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have similar Pog Scan (PS) issues with a 757 and PW6 plasma, in the menu I can select a setting called (I think) Pure Cinema, it has AUTO 1, 2, ON and OFF. All this is as well as PS switching, I have switched the Pure Cinema off but left the PS on.
    I find this annoying as I shelled out to upgrade from an NTSC PS only 565, if running on Interlaced is as good I could have saved £400, I almost don't want to try it out!

17. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I'm thinking of buying this DVD player for my father as an Xmas present....
    would he be happy with it?? (from RGB Direct ...as retailers round my way have sold out!)

I don't want to get an ear ache from him that the picture is crap!

Is it also easy to set up and get good picture?

18. FIL6S

FIL6S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So is this a decent DVD player then? As I am looking to buy it today.

19. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i am very happy with it it has a decent picture on my tv and projector, also plays divx files ok

20. jrosado

jrosado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the PS of the pio 575 that bad? I see so many owners of the 575 in this forum, and you guys are the first ones to complain about it. I have also a PW6 and i still tryng to decide between the Pio575, Denon 2910 or Samsung HD945. So is the PS so bad like that? Can you post a picture?

Regards,

J. Rosado

21. rickardl

rickardl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    No, the progressive scan that the 575 produces isn't that bad.
    But it isn't 100% perfect, I'll give you that, but it isn't the most
    expensive player around either... It will probably be equal to or beat
    most modern double priced players but probably not three times the price.
    If you have an old player (2 years+) , it will probably beat it whatever
    the price it had...

A still picture is probably not a good idea since the pause/still shows
    jaggies which are not present/visible during play.

22. RichieB

RichieB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I'm chuffed to bits with mine!!! Plays scratched discs that my older player won't even load!!!

23. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
  24. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Me too, they promised Christmas delivery and I hope they won't let me down!

25. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    also noticed another cool feature with this player, i watched part of king arthur yesterday, i then took the disc out and switched of the player, i put the disc back in today and it started playing from where i stopped yesterday

26. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Hi,

the resume option is pretty standard with most players, however I think the 575 can remember the last 5 discs that you have been watching and continue them from where you left off. No idea if it works with just DVD or with DivX too.

KH

27. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,899
    Noticed this on my 470 as well. I stopped a disc when I went off to work and when I came back I noticed it had been taken out and someone had watched something else so I put the disc back in and it straight away started playing from where I had stopped it :thumbsup:

28. Red1

Red1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Definitely agree with Rickardl,the pal prog scan isn't perfect but it is good for this amount of money and doing a comparison on a pause isn't going to give you a good
    result(best doing a side by side on a moving image).

I'm happy with the picture on my pw6 anyway.

Red1

29. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I ordered min on Monday ... and they have delivered today already!
    Its at home waiting for me.

My dad should be well chuffed!!

30. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Woohoo! I'll look forward to getting mine tomorrow with any luck then.