1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 575 or Samsung 945 or Yamaha S550?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by origbow1, Mar 8, 2005.

1. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Looking at upgrading my DVD machine (currently utilising my PS2) to either the Pioneer 575, or a Samsung 945 or a Yamaha S550. What's your thoughts on which is best? I have a lovely Philips 36PW9525 which I plan to replace with a plasma later in the year (Panny or Pioneer). Therefore, in the short term my DVD will be run through a Thor scart, until I upgrade to my plasma.
    I've read great things about the Pioneer 575, but will it play DVD+R/RW ok? I can get both the Pio and the Yamaha for £99 in silver, but my local Euronics has the Samsung 945 for £169 (Region 2). This has some future proofing with the HDMI socket, but some people have had playback issues with this machine? Am I better to go for the Pio or Yamaha now and upgrade to a better machine with HDMI in a year's time?

Also, any news on whether Pioneer's replacement for the 575 will have HDMI and when it is likely due onto the market?

Thanks

2. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,475
    Can only answer one of your questions - the one about the Pioneer playing DVD +R and +RW.

Yes it does!!

Phil

3. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phil,

Thanks for confirming that the Pio 575 does play +R/RW as it was a bit vague on the Pioneer website! That's good news as I would tend to use +R/RW more than the -R/RW format

Anyone have any thoughts on which model is best for my setup? I have now also found the Yamaha S550 a little cheaper at £89. Decissions, decissions....

Peter

4. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would love to hear some of your thoughts on the three players.... :lease:

Would help me clarify which model I end up buying.

5. Jai

Jai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Bought the pioneer dv-575 (hyperfi £109). Then returned it the next day. Coz there is noticable edge flicker in the picture. tested it on a sony 32dx200 and a panny 28pm11 same results with 2 different scart leads. Can't comment on the other players in your list.

6. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HD745 rocks on upscaled component and only £110 ! :clap: