Pioneer 575 or Samsung 945 or Yamaha S550?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by origbow1, Mar 8, 2005.

1. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Looking at upgrading my DVD machine (currently utilising my PS2) to either the Pioneer 575, or a Samsung 945 or a Yamaha S550. What's your thoughts on which is best? I have a lovely Philips 36PW9525 which I plan to replace with a plasma later in the year (Panny or Pioneer). Therefore, in the short term my DVD will be run through a Thor scart, until I upgrade to my plasma.
    I've read great things about the Pioneer 575, but will it play DVD+R/RW ok? I can get both the Pio and the Yamaha for £99 in silver, but my local Euronics has the Samsung 945 for £169 (Region 2). This has some future proofing with the HDMI socket, but some people have had playback issues with this machine? Am I better to go for the Pio or Yamaha now and upgrade to a better machine with HDMI in a year's time?

Also, any news on whether Pioneer's replacement for the 575 will have HDMI and when it is likely due onto the market?

Thanks

2. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,886
    Can only answer one of your questions - the one about the Pioneer playing DVD +R and +RW.

Yes it does!!

Phil

3. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phil,

Thanks for confirming that the Pio 575 does play +R/RW as it was a bit vague on the Pioneer website! That's good news as I would tend to use +R/RW more than the -R/RW format

Anyone have any thoughts on which model is best for my setup? I have now also found the Yamaha S550 a little cheaper at £89. Decissions, decissions....

Peter

4. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would love to hear some of your thoughts on the three players.... :lease:

Would help me clarify which model I end up buying.

5. Jai

Jai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Bought the pioneer dv-575 (hyperfi £109). Then returned it the next day. Coz there is noticable edge flicker in the picture. tested it on a sony 32dx200 and a panny 28pm11 same results with 2 different scart leads. Can't comment on the other players in your list.

6. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HD745 rocks on upscaled component and only £110 ! :clap: