1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 575 no audio via scart

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by canlabmaster, Oct 13, 2005.

1. canlabmaster

canlabmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Apologies if this has been dealt with before.

I have recently acquired a Pioneer 575 dvd player and have it audio-connected to a Sherwood AV amp via rf digital and 6-direct analogue. I also have it connected to my TV via scart-scart looped through a Panasonic digital satellite receiver and Philips DVD 980 recorder to the TV. The problem is that one or two discs (ie Reg 1 Braveheart and Reg 2 Tom and Jerry Collector's Editions) have no sound arriving at the TV (ie scart), but the AV amp plays out the sound OK from both analogue and digital inputs. Other discs may be affected too but I haven't had the player long enough to research this. Recordings made on my Philips DVD recorder play out with sound on the TV OK, as do the free comedy discs with the Sun this week. My daughter says her Reg 2 Buffys are OK as well.

I haven't found any menu settings that seem relevant - there are some which relate to digital audio out, but it is analogue audio which is the problem.

Any ideas?

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    So sound works all ways as expect except via scart on the tv ? Have you tried another scart cable ? on another tv ? I don't think the sound delivered via scart is optional, it just does it.

3. canlabmaster

canlabmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's only with some discs so it can't be the connectors or the TV otherwise I would get no sound from any disc ever.
    My previous player (Panasonic) never exhibited this type of behaviour.
    I can only assume there is a set up option which will correct it.

4. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Very odd and I can't think of a setting you can change to affects the scart sound. Usual question have you checked what version firmware you have on the 575 ? Latest is 2.09 though oter 3rd party ones are available. Do a search on this forum as I've posted the details so many times now :)

5. kit1cat

kit1cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Had a similar problem with my dvd player, the dvd in question only had mono sound through center channel so no sound from scart, worked fine with digital output to amp. Could be a quirk with some dvd players.

Barry

6. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    Can't see it having anything to do with the firmware version but, at the same time, cannot some up with any other reason.

To check your firmware version, HOME MENU, INITIAL SETTINGS, go to OPTIONS (don't enter the submenu) and then press "DISPLAY" on the Remote Control.

All the best,

Martin.

7. canlabmaster

canlabmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Quote:Had a similar problem with my dvd player, the dvd in question only had mono sound through center channel so no sound from scart, worked fine with digital output to amp. Could be a quirk with some dvd players.

Barry

I think that's exactly the reason for all this Barry. I've now worked around the problem by setting the audio output mode to 2-channel instead of 5.1 in the speaker settings (under initial settings). I am led to understand that there is a difference between mono as in centre-channel encoded and mono as in left and right channel encoded. Some players/decoders treat them the same it would seem but the Pioneer player doesn't. Setting to 2-channel puts the centre signal out equally to the left and right audio channels on the scart and hey presto, it works on my TV.

The downside is that the 6-channel analogue outs from the Pioneer are now 2-channels only, so I'll have to use my Sherwood's DD and DTS decoders to play multi-channel audio from now on (via the RF digital connector).

Luckily I don't use DVD-audio or SACD to confuse things further.

8. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    mjcairney, I just meant if he had a old firmware it might have been a bug thats all.

9. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    Yes, I understand.

Cheers,

Martin.

10. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    This thread has reminded me of another one that appeared previously. I am in the middle of renovating a second lounge into a home cinema and so have moved all the kit out and my Pio 575 is no longer connected to the amp - I run it through a small ghetto blaster temporarily.

I noticed last night that even though I had the output mode set to "Digital", the "2Ch Audio" outs still worked (the pair on their own, not the L & R from the multichannel out set).

I'll check if they work as a stereo downmixed pair even when the output mode is set to 5.1; if they do, that could be the solution to your problem as you could then connect a vision-only scart and a stereo interconnect to your tv.

More in a bit...