Pioneer 575 multichannel connection advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by noahjld, Oct 26, 2005.

1. noahjld

noahjld
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,got the Pioneer 575 player & VSX 502 AV amp.Can someone explain (for a complete idiot!!) how to connect them up for multichannel sound etc.Which leads go where etc? Also I have a cheapo Acoustic Solutions speaker package with sub woofer.In the manual it says I can connect the speakers directly to the woofer & also connect the 575 outputs to the subwoofer too.Is this the best way or is it better to connect the speakers to the 502 speaker terminals & then just connect the 502 to the sub woofer via single plug phono lead.
    I have quite a few SACD's & DVD Audio discs so want best sound possible.Any help or info much appreciated.Much easier with ordinary CD players!!! :lease: :)

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    For normal DVD surround sound (DD/DTS) - single coax(phono) or optical connector from the DVD player to your amp.

For SACD / DVD-A - you need 6 phono to 6 phono to cope with the 5.1 channels independently - your amp should have some sort or "external 5.1 input" sockets.

For speaker connections - the sub should be connected via single phono from the amp (presuming it's an active sub ie one with a built-in amp), the rest of the speakers should be connected to the appropriate speaker terminals on the amp...PJ

3. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi noahjld,

I have a set of AS150 speaker that I bought from Richer Sounds (Maybe the same as yours) and I plug the outputs from my 575 directly into the woofer connections and it works great...

Not had a chance to play any SACDs etc through it (as I don't have any yet) but it is brill for DD5.1

HTH

Gaz

4. noahjld

noahjld
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for your replies,will have a go tonight.If I encounter any probs etc I'll post a message tomorrow!!! Cheers.

5. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +787
    best way to connect the dvd to the amp is via an optical digital cable :)

i got some very good van damme ones from ebay, only around £14 each too :smashin:

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I thought the prevailing advice was coax for short runs and optical for longer runs?...PJ

7. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +787
    not sure, but i would have expected the optical to be better.....

than again the jury is still out on HDMI afaik so not necessarily true :rolleyes:

tbh i just like the neatness of an optical cable, small and tidy :cool:

8. Sheltie

Sheltie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone tell me if the 575 will output on both digital coax and 6 channel out. i.e. can I connect up both to my av amp, so i use the digital output whilst watching dvd's and use 6 channel when listening to Sacd?

9. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Yes you can - that's how I connect to my Denon 2805. You'll have to switch the amp to the right input though ('Ext. In' in my case).

10. Sheltie

Sheltie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Supersonic, just what I needed to hear :thumbsup:

11. noahjld

noahjld
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Hi,thanx for you replies & here goes :- on the back of the 575 player are the following "audio out 5.1" sockets :-

"front" "surround" "center"
    (2 phono L + R) L + R center L
    subwoofer R

On the back of the 502 amp are the following "audio in" 5.1 sockets :-

L center surround L
    R subwoofer surround R

As you can see there are 3 sets on the 575 player but only 2 sets on the 502 amp!! I've connected up the 575's "surround" & "center,subwoofer" to the "surround" & "center,subwoofer" on the 502 but not sure where the 575's "front L + R" gets connected!!!!!! Any ideas help re connections,leads etc

12. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They are connected via a Scart socket from DVD player to your DVD input on the amp. Stupid isn't it?

13. noahjld

noahjld
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So basically I just need a "2 phono to scart" lead to connect the "front L + R" from the 575 to the 502 amp & leave the other sockets connected up as they are? Just gets more confusing!

14. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think all you need is a single Scart cable. The audio from pins whatever in the Scart on the DVD should come out in the hires format. If not, you could use a Phono to Scart. But standard Scart should work. Give it a whirl. There may be a particular setting on the DVD player to enable the Hi-res audio through the Scart, anyone know more than me?

15. trailer

trailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    if you have the 5.1 analogues and the digital connected then that is all you need. Forget the L and R that will come through the digital.

16. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    There are several types of connection audio connection on the 575 as follows:

Scart - this will provide stereo audio into your TV
    2 Channel - provides Left and Right sockets for connecting a normal audio interconnect e.g. going into a stereo amp.
    5.1 Analogue multi-channel - provides Left, Right, Surround Left, Surround Right, Centre and Subwoofer sockets for connecting multi-channel audio into a multi-channel receiver.
    Digital coaxial and digital optical - basically two choices for how to get digital audio stream into your amp/receiver.

You can connect any and all of these but how they work depends on the settings of the player.

Roughly, if you have:

TV - use scart for picture and audio in one. Audio out setting to 2 Channel

Amp/receiver - use either digital, stereo connection, or 5.1 analogue multi-channel connections.

- Digital will provide stereo (e.g. from CDs) or multi-channel (e.g. Dolby Digital or DTS from DVDs)

- Stereo connection will provide a normal analogue stereo feed

- 5.1 analogue multi-channel connections will provide a multi-channel analogue feed, it will send decoded Dolby Digital or DTS from DVDs but is also necessary for the high-definition tracks on SACDs and DVD-Audio disks. (If you connect solely via digital, you will usually still get the Dolby Digital or DTS digital multichannel tracks if there are any, but not the high-definition part of the disk).

I do the following:

Digital coaxial connection to receiver - for DVD movies and CDs
    Stereo connection - straight to TV for 2-channel audio (because I use an s-video connection not Scart - not enough RGB scarts on my tv!)
    5.1 multi-channel analogue connections to the receiver's analogue multi-channel inputs - for dvd-Audio and SACDs.

Hope that helps.

17. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3