1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 575 DVD Player and Denon 3805 - No Voice via Analogue Signal

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bbasra, Jun 29, 2005.

1. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    My set is in my sig below.

As i have no Onscreen Display when i go via component for my Pioneer DVD player, i have just added a Scart to S-Video + 2x Phono (L+R) in addition to the Digital Coaxial and Component cables. which means now, i can use both analogue and digital for sound and component or svideo for picture.

I have just noticed that for my Pioneer dvd player, when i play films, the sound is perfect using the Digital Coaxial, however, when i switch to analogue mode, i get sound, however no voice, i can only hear the surround sounds effects in the movie no matter which surround format i try. when switching back to digital, it's fine.

if i play with the audio settings on the dvd player for the film(s), i only get the right sound when the format is AC3 0 channel, not when it is AC3 2.1 channel. Music CD's are fine.

i never had this issue with my old dvd player....

Any ideas?

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Looks like you've connected the phonos to the front left and right instead of the two channel downmix. Look for stereo output (as opposed to the fl,fr,c,sl,sr,sub of 5.1)

3. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    i have definetly connected the cable to the DVD Stereo L + R inputs.

I have also got 6 x Phono's connected from the Dvd Player into the Six Inputs on the Amp fl,fr,c,sl,sr,sub. Could this be the issue? I thought this is for DVD-Audio/SACD only. How and When are these inputs used then?

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the fl,fr,c,sl,sr,sub are not only dvd-a/sacd, they output a decoded dolby digital signal as well, but this shouldnt effect the downmixed stereo output from the L and R. The only thing i can think of is that the front left/right are connected to stereo in on amp, and stereo outs are connected to front left/right on the amp.

5. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I get this sometimes on my 2803 amp. I change the output from the DVD from 5ch to 2ch and it seems to cure it.

Have no idea why this happens. Can only guess it is the way the sound is encoded on the DVD?

Steve

6. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have also tried connecting the analog AUDIO OUT (2ch) as well as using the scart from dvd player into the Denon DVD Stereo L + R input.

maybe the multichannel 6 x Phonos outputs from the dvd player into the Denon override the Stereo 2 Channel L + R?

also, i have just read in the manual :

After connecting up and switching on, you
    should change the Audio Output Mode
    setting in the Initial Setup menu from the
    default 2 Channel to 5.1 Channel. See also
    Audio Output Mode on page 40.

I belive the Audio Output Mode is the issue here. I think i have set it to 5.1 Channel.

"When set to 5.1 Channel, only the front
    left/right channels are output from the
    AUDIO OUT (2ch) jacks. Change to 2
    Channel if you want to listen to downmixed
    stereo audio (for example, because you are
    listening through the TV’s built-in
    speakers)."

This must be the Issue!.... well i hope so.

Should it be on 2 Channel or 5.1 channel?

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the 5.1 channel mode only applies to using the dvd players internal decoder. if you also have a digital connection, you don't really need the 6 phonos connected (unless you listen to dvd-a/sacd). I assume that when you watch a movie you select the digital input on the amp and therefore bypass the dvd player's internal decoder? I would set it to 2ch (this does not effect the digital output) and then when you listen to a dvd-a, set it to 5.1ch.

8. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    i've never listened to a dvd-a/sacd so not sure how it works.

i did have the audio output mode set to 5.1 which caused this issue. i have changed it to 2 channel and all is fine.

just like the amp decodes 5.1 for films, why cant the amp do it for the dvd-a/sacd using digital coaxial input, why use the dvd internal decoder?

how would i listen to a dvd-a/sacd, does the amp automatically detect it, what settings would i use on the dvd player and amp?

This is confusing, but getting there.

Thanks for your support.

9. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It should be 2 channel in your case.

5.1 would be used if you had the dvd player connected for SACD or DVD-A use (ie 6 analogue connectors) and you wanted the DVD player to do the decoding rather than the amp.

10. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    as far as i know the bit rate of dvd audio is too high to be sent down a coaxial? the disks arent recorded in dd 5.1 or dts (the main bit anyway) and the bandwidth is too vast to fit down a standard digital interconnect, so it has to be decoded internally and outputted as 6 analogue signals.

If you don't use dvd-a's or sacds then you dont even need the 6 phonos connected, the coaxial digital is fine, and i'm sure your denon does a better job decoding than the dvd player!

11. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    also add that if you get a denon sacd/dvd-a dvd player, you could use denon link and this can carry dvd-a and sacd? (maybe one or the other im getting a bit out of my depth here!)

12. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    No, that is not the reason.

It is a copy protection issue that requires the transmission of an analogue signal (with the exception being Pioneer's i-link and Denon's equivalent

Yes. But there are a few older amps around that do not have DD or DTS decoding, in which case the signal could be passed this way.