1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 575 and Flicker

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by byron_hinson, Nov 19, 2004.

1. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I have just got a pioneer 575-S dvd player to go with my Toshiba 26WL46 LCD TV. I am running the DVD player in progressive scan mode. I've watched a few films so far on it, but two of the three i have watched have shown some flicker on objects such as checked shirts, walls and such like.

The DVD's showing this so far are Nightmare Before Christmas SE and Around The World in 80 Days (2004).

I watched Shrek 1 and 2 the earlier and neither of those showed any of these problems. What causes it? Can't I fix it?

2. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Any ideas? Or is it normal on some DVD's to have flicker on items such as clothes, shirts, moving fences etc.

3. Kaotician

Kaotician

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Are you running the signal out through component video connections? I ask because I get the same effect with this player on my TV too - also the occasional all-over screen flicker - and I'm using a component video cable plus have got the player setup in auto-progressive mode. I've put it down to the player being a bit of a cheapo model.....

4. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Are Shrek 1 & 2 Region 1 or 2?

5. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Running it through component...shrek 1&2 are region 2. I have a feeling its actually the TV.

6. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No its not the TV - my 575 flickers too (when i tested the 340e it did not flicker!)

7. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I agree with these findings exactly, and the nature of the flicker noted above. Seems to be disc dependent, and I'm blaming it on Pioneer setting edge enhancement/detail too high on the player. Some really well mastered discs e.g. I-Robot, any of the LOTR series, Shrek, look fab. Others, well, others just don't look quite so hot. Tends to be things like shirt or other fabric patterns, ledges on buildings, car bumpers/spoliers, chrome, etc. that the flicker is evident on.

Note that it seems to disappear with NTSC prog scan playback (interlaced NTSC signals show these 'artifacts', but switching to prog scan clears them). Very strange, and it was very startling to find the PAL prog scan outperformed by a £70 Tosh deck - I would have thought, at best, that the picture would have been the same. Better chipset in Tosh? Who knows! :)

I wonder if anyone out there knows of something which puts together the performance and 'feel' of the Pioneer (love the Home Menu system), and the PQ of the Tosh for less than £200?

8. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just an interesting thing to note, I never seem to get flicker from my 565 when watching animated films. Is there a reason for this, or am I going mad?

9. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Check out Monsters Inc... lots of flicker on that :-(