1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer 565a or 575a

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ryann, Apr 15, 2005.

1. ryann

ryann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it worth selling my pioneer dv-565a and buying the pioneer dv-575a or is it woth buying a sony dvd player DVP-NS355 or philips 630

2. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Why do you want to seel your 565? It won't have aged that much in a year or so....and I would bet that it is still better than the Sony & Philips

3. ryann

ryann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    because it aint multi region and i think it aint a proper sacd player i think it just converts sacd to pcm, i was thinking of buying a true sacd player, and a multi region dvd player

4. geoxen

geoxen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    This is not relevant to your original question but considering that you own/owned the pioneer DV 575A, I'd like to know is it or isn't it region free? I just bought it under the impression that it is and the truth is that some region 1 DVD's do play while other don't.
    Can I get a truthful response. Thanks. geoxen

5. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Hi,

The vanilla 575a is not multi region, however most if not all online retailers will make sure they sell you a regoin free machine by modding it beforehand. I dont think there is a handset hack for the 575, if there is then i have never heard of one.

The R1 discs that you say do not play, are they RCE encoded ? If so then they will not play on your machine if your machine has not been made RCE compatable. If you don't know what RCE is then have a look here

Where did you buy your 575 and what R1 discs do not play ?

Hope this helps.

Keith Hurst

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Never heard of a MR 575 having any probs with R1, and I'm fairly sure I've read that they deal with RCE no probs too..PJ

7. geoxen

geoxen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Keith,

The player was bought in Greece and the truth was that I had gone to the store with one complete set of the "FRIENDS" sitcom, specifically the first season( 4 DVD's ) and they all played there. After I bought it home I tried all the other dvds and the seasons 6 & 7 didn't read. It is strange because they are a complete set and they don't differ. I'm so confused.
    Do you think that If I take it back they can make it region free completely?

8. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Hi again,

there doesn't seem to be any difference in the R1 Friends series 1 and series 6 & 7. In that case I would take it back to the shop and ask for a replacement. Take along Friends 6 & 7 so they can see the problem for themselves.

I take it that 6 & 7 play fine on other peoples multi regioned enabled machines ?

Regards
    Keith hurst

9. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    True, but SACD on the 565 still sounds great IMO.

Also, you have to consider the fact that a great many DSD/SACD recordings are converted to PCM over & over during the mastering process, so you very rarely get anything that is "pure" DSD anyway.

I wouldn't concentrate too much on DSD > PCM conversion. There are other factors just as important to consider - the player's op amps & power regulation etc.

You might be able to get a Denon 2900 for £300-£350 used. "Pure" DSD and generally good all-round build & component quality. The Philips 963SA might also be worth considering. PQ not as good as the Denon though.

Cheers,
    DT

10. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I'm not too impressed with my 565 ,infact dvd's are getting worse as they get cheaper ,i wished i had never sold my 444 :( .

11. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Geoxen,

glad to see from other threads and your mail that you have managed to get your 575 working multi-region.

KH

12. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sad to hear you're disappointed with the 565. I think its an excellent machine. Picture & sound quality are still great for the money. OK, so it has biscuit-tin build quality, but shoving it in a 717 or 868 chassis would probably double the price.

I agree with you that generally speaking, dvd players have "peaked". By this I mean that although every new generation adds more features and maybe better PQ, build & component quality seems to take a backward step.

The Denon 2900's replacement - 3910 is slightly inferior in terms of build & sonic performance (but not PQ admittedly). Will we ever see awesome machines like the Toshiba SD9500 or Sony 9000ES being manufactured any time soon?

I'm sure both companies are spending the bulk of their R&D budgets on Hi-Def/Blu-Ray technologies instead.

DT

13. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The picture and sound quality of the 565 is good ,as for the build its quite poor no better than a £30 player and i payed £190 ,the player as failed me a few times stopping and blocking in the middle of a film ,so much during one film i swaped over to my panasonic player which played the rest of the film ok( and thats not perfect), i have never swapped it back and now just plays cd's which seems a waste.

14. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Strange that. Never had a problem with mine. It does struggle with pirate dvd's and cheapo region 9 jobbies (not that I own any - total waste of money imo) though.

15. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Gotta agree with that - my 963SA is 2 1/2 years old now and still delivers on both PQ and sound (esp. for SACD)

16. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I've only had a problem with one disc out of hundreds. All have played fine. I bought the 565 as it was a cheap SACD & DVD-A compatible player..thought I'd keep it for a year or so and get a new one when I saw a new player that takes my fancy....probably wait for hidef/blue ray now. Don't really see the point of upgrading to anything else at the moment....didn't think I would notice that much of an improvement. I'm sure the Denon3109 is better but considering I've got a 1k projector and not a 10k one, a £700 amp not a 2k one & 1k speakers not 5k speakers I don't think I could expect a new dvd player to fix all the imperfections I have in my other kit :D

17. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I did buy some suspect dvd's from ebay but when a region 2 disc i bought just didn't want to play i swapped the player.It i also very slow to start ,open the disc tray and load a disc compared to the panasonic.