1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 565 DVDA/PCM Problem....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dynamic turtle, Sep 9, 2004.

1. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but its a technical question, not a discussion about the (admittedly, very good) album.

The Crystal Method recently released a DVDA/DTS-ES album (legion of boom) and I've had difficulty getting it to work.

It has the following soundtracks:

DTS-ES (24/48 multi-channel)
    DVD-A (24/48 multi-channel)
    2.0 PCM (16/48 - although this appears as 24/48 in the OSD)

DVD-A & PCM soundtracks are not working. This is the only DVD-A I own that behaves like this. All the others play multi-channel & stereo DVD-A perfectly. Is my config the problem?

My system is 2-channel. The 565 has the following options set:

Digital out - ON (Co-ax into my DAC for CD playback)
    DD > PCM
    DTS > PCM
    Downsample - OFF
    Mpeg > PCM

(I've tried playing around with these settings, to no avail)

Only the L & R multi-channel outs are connected to the pre amp.

Why won't PCM & DVD-A soundtracks work? Anyone got any ideas? You may argue that the DTS-ES soundtrack is good enough, being 24/48, but its still a "lossy" format compared to MLP DVD-A, isn't it?

Totally confused :confused: ,

DT

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    I had a problem the other way round with the Queen DVD-A I've just got - it wouldn't play the surround track it only played in stereo. I changed an option where it asked what the DVD default was - mine was set to DVD-A I changed it to DVD and it then played the DTS 24/48 track.
    I'm not very technically minded, but maybe you could try and change that option to DVD-A if it is set to DVD ? I must say I found it all very confusing !

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah, another one of DVD-A's many delights :rolleyes:

The legion of boom dvda works fine on the 2900, so i listen to it on that system instead.

4. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I just bought a DVD-A title yesterday (REM) for the sake of having one to listen too, and to be honest I can't hear any difference in quality between 2 channel and 5.1 on my Panasonic E95 where only the 2 channel should be true dvd-a quality.
    On the box it lists about 5 or 6 soundtracks, but I can only chose the 2. :confused:

Is dvd-a hi-res soundtrack output though the digital connection, the analogue outputs or both?