Pioneer 565 compatability with +R discs

Jeffers01

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to buy the 565 mainly so that I can view DVD's of home movies etc (my current Tosh 2109 isn't compatable with any recordable media). I'm confused by the + and - R/RW. The Pioneer seems not to be compatable with +R/RW discs but isn't this the main format? I know Pioneer are in the - camp but if my brother gives me a + disc will this mean that I won't be able to play it? Is this normal for DVD players or are most truely multi compatable. The 565 has the obvious allure of SACD and DVD-A playback as well as a JPEG viewer but I don't want to miss out on the main recordable format if indeed it is +RW. Any advice please.

My 565 will not play my +R or +RW discs. This is the first Pioneer that I have come across that will not even attempt to play them.

Originally posted by Jeffers01
isn't this the main format?

Pioneer would probably be a little peeved to hear that- +R/RW is the "non ratified" format. Is it not playing any of them or are there particular bits of media that aren't doing what they're supposed to?
It could of course be a swift two fingered salute to Philips.

Purchased a 565 just over a week ago and it plays +R and +RW discs without problem. The +R's are cheap unbranded discs and the +RW discs are Memorex.

Overall a great DVD player, the only problem I've found is that JPEG pricture display is slow. i.e. 30-40 seconds to display a 5M pixel picture.

mmmm conflicting views there, although it sounds like +R/RW will work with the right discs. Any more experiences out there?Pioneer may be peeved but isn't it true that the official DVD forum that sets the standards does not even recognise -R/RW?

Anyway........how are you guys finding normal CD music playback? I'm wondering whether I'll be able to dump my ageing Marantz CD63 which still sounds horribly bright?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom