Pioneer 565, a couple of questions?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GlenW, Feb 8, 2004.

1. GlenW

GlenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am keen on the 565 and have found a German retailer on the net offering a code free version for 22 euros more than the normal. The player is region free I understood, what is meant by code free? Region free is important for me as I have DVD's from US, Europe and Australia from moving around a bit.

I also have a Panasonic TX32PS10F TV, what is the best connection between the receiver and the TV to use?

I assume that you connect the DVD player to the receiver and this then goes to the TV. I also have a gamecube as well which I would connect to the receiver.

I am still very new to this and waiting to get my gear to start setting it up.

Thanks

Glen

2. Eddie Maiden

Eddie Maiden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'd better connect the DVD player directly to the tele with a quality SCART cable, also make sure to use AV1 (this is RGB) as this makes a lot of difference, far better image qualitity. I know this all because I do have the same DV565 and 32PS10 combination!

cheerz,
    Edwin

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Make sure the tv is set to RGB if you have to set it, and on the DVD player.

Check if the player will also do RCE disc.

4. GlenW

GlenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info! What is RCE disk?

Any advice on code free/ region free?

Thanks

Glen

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Region Encoded Disc. They will not play on DVD players that just say play everything.
    The disc ask the DVD will you play a R1 and if the answer is yes it may say will you play R2 if gets a second yes it will not play as it know you have a hacked machine.
    This is manly on DVD players that are not chipped but just unlocked by a remote.
    The Patriot was one of the first to use it.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Got the initials wrong they are RCE means Regional Coding Enhancementsee this disc here for R1 here
    And what RCE is here with a list of DVD's that have it on them.

7. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,
    I have just bought the 565 and it has issues with playing Region 1 US discs on my Panasonic TV, it has bands within the picture, this has been previously reported. I cannot remember the TV model number unfortunately, so maybe try before you buy.
    Ged

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    That thread is here.

9. GlenW

GlenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the German retailer is probably offering to make the Pioneer 565 free of any problems with RCE disks for an extra 22 euros.

I am concerned about this problem with banding on the match between Pioneer 565 DVD player and the Panasonic TV as i do have region 1 DVD´s after living in the US for 2 years. I went for the Pioneer 565 DVD player as it fits my budegt, had some good reviews and I have just bought a Pioneer 812 receiver.

What other DVD player should I look at as well? The toshiba seems to get quite a few mentions here, can anyone give a model number and I will check out some details or is there other brands?

Thanks for the help as always.

Glen

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    The Toshiba SD330E is a good model and a lot cheaper although not to the build quality of the 565, also it will not do the DVD Audio and SACD. I also got a free X-Men cover disc with the Times and it did not frame the still pictures right, whereas the Pioneer was spot on and also displayed a menu.

11. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Try the Panasonic S75, very good player.Sony 730 or 930 but less good with -R i.e. copies.
    I almost sold my Sony 900v but will be keeping it, wish I had kept the S75 more though.