Pioneer 545 run-out

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andypandy, Feb 15, 2002.

1. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    After doing all my research over the last 2 weeks on which best player to buy for my sub-£400 I decided to get the 545 only now to discover it's sold out everywhere and a wait of 2 weeks +.

At about £250 for a multi-region 545 model , spending more does not look like I will get a better picture !!! Sound and other gadgets like DVD-A and SACD maybe, BUT I DONT WANT IT !!!

I remain to be convinced about these, in the same way I was about LaserDiscs, Beetamax and VHS, CD music and DVD films.

I never owned a Beetamax or Laserdisc player.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know how you feel,I ordered mine from HiFiBitZ on 24/01/02 and I am still waiting.
    Apparently Pioneer aren`t releasing them till mid feb...which is what it is now ,so where is my DV-545 ......I don`t know HiFiBitZ won`t answer my emails,damn them. :mad:

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    it makes for interesting reading - ordering pioneer dvd players and having to wait weeks for them to arrive. i hada similar experience last year, i ordered a pioneer 535 multi-region player and was waiting for about 3 weeks. after the 4th week i got sick of waiting and went to the store where i ordered from and got my money back! i might have paid slightly more than you would online, but there is always that comfort of having somewhere to go. i use the internet for small purchases and could not trust it for anything more - despite the savings that are there to be had.

4. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I too rang HIFIBitz yesterday and told me they were expecting a delivery in the afternoon and told me to place an order to secure one. I told them I would wait until the afternoon just to make sure, but were stil pushing me to put an order as people were constantly ordering it and they may not be any left by the time they got them in.

In the end I got a deal with AVland for the 444 which is multi-region and macrovision disabled. I nearly bought one from Electro centre upon learning on the last minute they were not macrovision disabled !!!

I have had a response from Pioneer re the comparison between the 545 aqnd 444.
    "Yes the 545 is slightly better on the audio side and it is also slightly better on the picture side."

Based on that response the 444 will do for now until the 747 comes down in price to a reasonable level.
    Plus the fact it should be easier to sell the 444 second hand as I can sell it cheaper and thus be more attractive to a prospective buyer.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I phoned HifiBitZ today over my order and they said they were going to have "a meeting" :confused: and I should ring back on monday,don`t know what thats all about,but it should be interesting to say the least.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As long as it isn't a Meeting of Creditors that they are having.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That`s OK ,I haven`t give them any money yet. :)

8. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fyi the cheapest online for the mutiregion 545 is now £239 , unfortunately i cannot remember the url at the moment.

I would recommend emailing avland.co.uk they are superb and will usually try and match. They also use the older firmware which removes macrovision. You can also get hold of kingsley (from avland) in the home cin group (aka chimp)

9. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That really is an unbelievable low low price.

10. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here you go just realised i had bookmarked it:

http://www3.netspin.co.uk/electrocentre/

type 545 in the search box and it brings it up.

PIONEER / DV545 (MULTI REGION) £239

I have just clicked add to basket and it then tells you it is £10 delivery on top though so it may not be a good deal afterall unless you live in birmingham and can pick it up.

No idea what they are like etc, i just saw the link recently somewhere. (there do appear to be people in this group that have used them though see thread below:
    (£200 for DVD with component outputs? - user smarty)

or perhaps you can use the link reference as a price match with someone else.

hth

11. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Oh yeh, I know about Electro centre. If you read my comment further up. I placed an order for last monday with them at £249 incl delivery after checking and making sure they had them in stock over the phone. 10 minutes after placing the order I got a call back from them saying they had sold the last 2 they had , but would get a few more very soon and I would get one delivered on Friday (just gone). Friday came, and nothing. I rang them up only to find the usual message (which I got from most people and the reason for the original thread on this) that UK Pionner had ran out and it would be at least 2 more weeks !!!!!!!!!! I was given the chance to cancel the order and took it.
    It was at that point I was going to change my order to the 444 only to find both were NOT macrovision disabled !!! only multi-region players.

Electro Centre. Kind enough at least to call up shortly after to tell me about the lack of Stock (I'll give them the benefit) and also good of them to refund me, BUT they really should have called me on Friday or earlier to advide me.

Don't companies understand little things, like COMMUNICATION with there customers are so invaluable these days to take them on that successfull ladder.

12. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I did find a place , near heathrow, that had some in stock at £279 plus £10 delivery . When I asked if they could do anything abou the price and it is generally advertised cheaper the response was a firm 'NO WAY' sir.

Maybe that's why they still have them in stock !!!!I'm not paying £289 for one - no way, thanks, however good the player is.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you did order from them,what is there to stop them from calling you back saying they had just sold the last one :)

14. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You must have ESP - I was thinking to write that down as my last statement !!!!!!!

Don't you all get the feeling if you were in charge of their business you could run it miles better ?

It surely doesn't take too much effort.

Expertise, truthfull and (key) good communications with your customers all the way !