PIONEER 540 Advice

R

Radi0ed

Hi
i am in the process of upgrading my pioneer dvr 720h to the new pioneer dvr 540
however i have noticed there are two models , dvr 540HX & dvr 540HX-S
would i be right in saying the later as a digital tuner compared to the 540hx ? and does anyone know what other differences there are on the 540hx-s . i have seen the 540hxs on amazon uk for £369.99 which is slightly cheaper than on avland ( £399 ) but are these the same models ? as i cant seem to find any more info on the dvr 540 hx-s from the pioneer sites !
any info regarding my questions would most greatfull

regards
Chris

:lease:

I think they are the same models. The uk 540 has digital tuner.
amazon are £30 cheaper but it's the same model.

Or maybe the 's' mean silver, I was hoping to get a black one.

I an waiting for my pioneer 440 to replace my Tosh 32 under insurance.
Dom Gen say the X denotes the freeview and the S denotes silver as suggested.

Regards
Knotpc :beer:

i was going to get the 540 myself until i realised that unit did not come with DV-IN, what an oversight from the pioneer....:mad:

A lot of posts are mentioning specs which may be European and not necessarily UK.
The Pioneer UK website is still not showing the new *40 models:
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_overview.jsp?category_id=501&taxonomy_id=45-133

The AVland spec may still be provisional, but for the UK, it is more likely correct than the Euro versions. Incidently, if you add the AvLand item to the basket, it says it is 80Gb and not 160Gb, so maybe just another error or provisional info.

Or can someone point us to definitive data for the UK?

thanks for your replys guys , i also was told that (s) at the end of the model number could mean the silver model .
also i noticed that there are slight differences in the models facia - if you check out the online pioneer manual ( pdf ) you can see the difference between the two models , so i guess they have some difference's - unless they are the european models ? .

http://www.pioneer-eur.com/files/brochures/2006/HE_Pre/06_Home_Preview_EN.pdf

any more help from someone who knows would be most greatfull

thanks again
regards
chris

well that *is* the uk site.... also remember the 540 is *missing a lot* from the 530... depends how much you want the new features....

differences are here...

i basicaly want a dvr with Divx playback , digital freeview tuner , timeshift/ pause live tv , play and record on most media including duel layer + & - . and from what i have read the pioneer 540 hxs seems just the one .
unless you can tell me of another dvr that as all the features of 540 hx and a price tag of around £370 i would be most interested
thanks foneman

no DV-in, no RGB output when watching tuner (output switches to composite), svideo & RCA only on front??

you have checked the 'limitations' of the 'pause live tv' ??

from what i noticed having looked at the online brochure the 540 hx-s as a dvb tuner were as the 540 -hs does not !

also what are limitations' of the 'pause live tv' ??

Quote "well that *is* the uk site".

That pdf brochure seems to be an English language version of the European product range. I haven't read it all, so is it identified as UK somewhere? (Sort of reminds me of the UK is part of Europe when it wants to be)

If you select UK from the drop down list of countries, you don't get those products yet.
See here and select UK: http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/body.jsp

yeah I'm afraid the pioneer website(s) seem to be a bit flaky sometimes....

- mustnt grumble, a lot of companies just dont have one! ( or just a couple of basically useless pages)

myself I have actually 'stepped through' two seemingly identical PDFs... the only differences were related to the higher standards relating to 'electrical safety' and wiring... plus other minor ones like text flowing across pages...

so the waiting has to go on - try not to speculate too much!! :thumbsup:

Hi

no RGB output when watching tuner (output switches to composite)

Talk about mis-information :) The original poster simply had the DVD Recorder in TV mode, if they pressed the TV/DVD to put the recorder into DVD mode the tuner output would indeed be RGB, this is no different to the current models. TV mode takes away the SCART switching signal so the TV goes to its own tuner (unless manually set to AV) and due to a bug with some TVs that do not like receiving an RGB with the switching off the recorder turns off RGB output but leaves composite.

Regards

Phil

CLH mate you are correct the website does say DV-in, now i am cerainly confused :confused: , i guess the proof of the pudding is with the owners and i believe only they can confirm/clear this confusion??????
Any 540 owner out there? :lease:

It looks like that owner "avalan" is located in Belgium. May be worth checking if he has a Euro or UK spec piece of kit.

Hkan said:
At Pioneer DVR-540 vs DVR-530: the differences you have an owner of the DVR-540H.

Just to update everybody. I am waiting for the Pioneer DVR-440HXS from Comet replacement Services. They have been promised delivery of this machine today at their main warehouse from Pioneer. I phoned Pioneer last week and although Amazon have these machine as released in March, they havn't delivered any as yet and Pioneer didn't even have full information about the product.
I see the link previous to Avalan, who lives in Belgium, I suspect he has the European version which may be totally different!

Regards
Knotpc :beer:

How does a UK model differ from a European model?
I understand that you might not get every model in to UK that’s released by Pioneer Europe. But I hardly think they do different models for different European countries?

38H21543 said:
It looks like that owner "avalan" is located in Belgium. May be worth checking if he has a Euro or UK spec piece of kit.

I have a unit bought here in Belgium, so that would be Euro spec.
I'm surprised that the UK version would be different without any change in the model name.
I have the DVR-540-H-S and I believe there is a DVR-540-HX-S coming later this year which includes digital tuner. Again this is based on info from Pioneer Belgium.

** time to remind people to put their 'city/town' in their profile!! ***

{edit} its down in the 'additional info' ...

It would sure help, guys... :thumbsup:

knotpc:
just checked pioneer's UK website, no sign of the 440 there.. Is Comet getting them from europe???

On the europe website, here, or here, , I cant see any mention of RGB for the 440... better check!!
also no DV-in, only one set of inputs - the 433 has 2 RCA & SVideo inputs..

:smashin: tell us a soon as you unpack it - what it *really does* !! :D

PhilipL said:
Talk about mis-information :) The original poster simply had the DVD Recorder in TV mode, if they pressed the TV/DVD to put the recorder into DVD mode the tuner output would indeed be RGB, this is no different to the current models. TV mode takes away the SCART switching signal so the TV goes to its own tuner (unless manually set to AV) and due to a bug with some TVs that do not like receiving an RGB with the switching off the recorder turns off RGB output but leaves composite.

No mis-information at all. However, my statement may be misinterpreted because you guys all seem to have digital TV.
Again: I only have analogue cable TV. The DVR is connected via a fully connected SCART to the TV. When using the DVR's tuner to watch TV, the player outputs as composite, not as RGB. As soon as I go into the menus of the player, or start playing back a recording, the output goes to RGB. I can clearly see it because the TV's OSD pops up whenever the switch takes place.

foneman said:
I cant see any mention of RGB for the 440...

My manual is for both the 440 and 540 so I would think they are identical units apart from the HDD size. I must admit not having read the entire manual yet, so there may be some mentions of features that are not present in the 440 but I haven't read any so far.
The 540 has 2 SCARTS, which both output composite, s-video or RGB. However, only one can also be used as an input (again composite, s-video and RGB). As I don't have any RGB-sources, I cannot verify this.

Ahh - on examination, the 'profile setting' is a bit misleading!!

the 'country' setting is not used in the 'forum threads' ... it is the 'additional info, city/town' that is used! :rolleyes:

Mods!! please can some thing be done about this?? :lease:
:rolleyes: just swap the two around, or put country, city/town next to each other??

{goes back to post, edits..... }

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom