Pioneer 535 seems a bit of a bargin!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jon Weaver, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +723
    I just found the Pioneer 535 (Multi Region) for £199

The 636 is almost twice as much.

I don't need the high quality CD play that the 636 offers and certainly don't need the internal 5.1 decoder.

So is the 535 a good buy?

When I last looked at the 5 series pioneer (525 I think) I didn't like it because it had limited fast-forward capabilities...

Is this still the case..

Any info on the Pioneer range would be appreciated

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BE CAREFUL!! Before you buy, Make sure that it is MULTI REGION and not REGION FREE (REGION 0). I nearly got suckered into buying a region free model. This means that you can't change regions and you will not be able to play RCE titles. It does seem a bit cheap for a multi region player that hasn't been out to long. Sevenoaks recently had a sale and they were selling for £220 and advertised them as Multi Region. When I went down there dosh in hand, they were the Region 0 version. I brought the changeable version (£250) and haven't had any problems with it. The transport is a bit noisy at times but it plays RCE discs no problem.
    Good luck with your purchase!

3. Stick

Stick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't wish to rain on your parade but i had posted this on another thread, it's only my thoughts having experienced the 535.....

...I've tried both the 535 & the SD100E. Having lived with each for about 4 weeks and tried a wide selection of discs, R's 1&2.
    The Pioneer should have cost me around £250 (multi-region) at Richer Sounds, but as I'd seen it locally for £197 they agreed to price beat at £180.
    Anyhow as soon as I'd got the player unpacked it was horribly apparent that money had been saved when they built it!!. It had a very cheap and nasty feel to it, and it was very very noisy when the disc draw opened or closed. I also thought the display looked cheap and pressing the buttons on the front created a strange 'echoey' sound.
    Oh, and the remote was equally bad being horribly laid out with small buttons and boringly 'rectangular'. In fairness it did have alot of features and was powerful with DD/DTS sountracks, although lousy as a CD player. Stereo being produced in narrow and harsh manner. I also found the picture not to my taste, it had a blueish tinge about it and the colour not that striking to me.
    The worst thing was that this player had a fault. When I selected S-vhs output, the picture would just flick between colour black & white or no picture at all!. Making various adjustments on both the player & tv did not cure anything, in fact the longer it was left the faster it flicked!. In any case Richers gave me a refund as they did not have any different players at the time.
    I then managed to find the Toshiba SD100e at my local branch of Hughes, (again multi-region and for only £189!!). Upacking this player it was immediateley obvious that this was a much higher quality machine. It has pretty much all the features of the Pioneer, (although no cdr replay).
    Apart from the remote,( which is hideously light with buttons that are too small, and generally to cluttered!-remeniscant of wharfedale) the whole operation/functions of the player put the Pioneer to shame. The DD/DTS playback on this player is much more open and articulate, (and whilst it is still only an average cd player, it is musical than the Pioneer).
    The pictures have a very cinematic feel to them with a very vivid colour reproduction, ( not unlike the Sony players!). One really handy feature is the ability to turn off the display. I am aware of the immediate drawback of this player concerning RCE discs, (the Pioneer having A selectable region code whereas the Toshiba is all auto). But in the box was a leaflet stating that a chip could be fitted to the player for £50 in the near future, and to contact the retailer for details. ( I understand General Skanky works for Hughes, do you know if this is about yet??).

I'm sorry if this upsets die hard Pioneer fans, but in my own opinion Pioneer has produced a player that feels like a cheap chinese effort, whereas in the past their products have led the field( i rather liked ther first players, and ironically i never liked much of the Toshiba range!!).

But I would say buy the Toshiba, you wont regret it. See if you can try them both and then you can judge for yourself, but as i have said Pioneer have been better.

Hope this helps!!

Stick.

[This message has been edited by Stick (edited 12-02-2001).]

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    That echos what I have heard about Pioneers build quality..

Trouble is.. The other models mentioned don't play CDRs which is my hold reason for changing..

Why can't life be simple?

5. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +774
    Jon

I have a Pioneer DV515 and the build quality is very good. I have seen posts before regarding the Pioneer 535, and some people have even suggested that Pioneer do not actually build it themselves and that maybe it is made by a 3rd party and badged as Pioneer. Don't know if this is true or not? Although on other posts regarding this player, many people have praised its sound and picture quality. I also own a Tosh 2109 (the model that the SD100 replaced) and the build quality on that is also excellent. Toshiba are renowned for their picture and sound quality. You could buy almost any Tosh player with confidence.

6. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get the current Pioneer brochure the specs of the 535 and the 636 are almost identical, expect that the 636 has the onboard decoders (which an amp can do) but feature and sound wise they ARE the same.

Thats why I sent for the 535 not the high priced model, it was not justified, even comparing to a 717 the spec is very simular Im sure the cost is there in build quality somewhere but feature, resolution, twin lasers..etc.. they are all the same.

Mine is multi-reagion and I easiler changed it to be region 1 by default, sao that should stop any RCE issues..

I would say buy one, well worth the money..

7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    I bought a Pioneer 525 home from work to test and I have to say that I am not completely impressed.

The build quality is very poor, infact, it looks and feels like a lot of the budget players I have seen.. It also lacks a number of the features i have on my Samsung eg:-

Zoom
    Mutiple Fast Forward Speads (x2-x32)

But, it does play CDRs!

I wonder if the new range (535, 636) are any better built?

Jon

8. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 535 is a better build but if you want something that is heavy, this is not, it feels very lite and as a result give the impression of cheapnees..

but sit it on a shelve and use it and then it is a very good machine, cant fault my one..

(Who walks round carring a DVD player to notice the weight....!)

LOL

9. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Its not the weight.. Its the fact that its hollow and sounds really plastic when you touch it that I am worried about.

even the buttons have that 'budget' feel!

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do you spend all day prodding the buttons on your DVD player??, surely all you use are power and eject and even they are on its remote control, believe it or not, eject even turns the player on and opens the tray so that is only one button to press!!!

11. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    No, of course I don't.. But, I do expect a bit of build quality with anything I buy.

Its the feel good factor!.

When you are spending £600 on a DVD player.. You would atleast expect it to be solidly built. Well I would!

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are spending £600 then I take it you are not going to buy the Pioneer DV535, unless you plan to buy 3 of them of course.

Obviously for that amount of money you want something that is well built.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. I was just wondering where I'd be able to get a Multi-Region 535 for £199? I have a Toshiba SD-2109, and I can't work the Gladiator R1 disc. Many thanks.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the Richer Sounds web site I got mine from there before Christmas for £179.99

15. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you just modify your 2109?
    It'll be cheaper than buying a new player.

I also have the 535.
    It sure feels and looks cheap. Even the remote is very flimsy.
    It's also very Big compared to other players.

But i am very happy with the picture(first DVDplayer) ,it plays everything(except mp3)and it's a Pioneer.
    If you don't have a regular CD player...the pioneer 535 is i think the best choice.
    Unless you want a phillips or a unknown brand dvdplayer.

Oh yeah; most important reason for my choice.
    Pioneers are the best to modify.

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 2109 is currently in region-free mode, and will not play any RCE discs. I've also tried some of the menu hacks, but to no avail. Apart from Gladiator, I had trouble with the X-Men disc too, although I could lay it via the chapter selection.

17. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John FYI My Tosh SD100E plays Vivastar 80min CD-r's (Buy.com), Thats Write 80min CD-r's (local shop!) & Samsung 650min CD-r's (local shop again). It wont play Intenso, HP, & Traxdata. Also Techtronics were doing a free RCE upgrade if you bought a SD100E recently (Itll probably cost me approx £20 postage when they get round to it) So all in all i think £217 or less for a player as good as the Tosh With RCE capability is pretty good.

18. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    With regards to my comments about build quality.. Sorry.. I was confusing this post with another I had made.

When I was talking about the 535 quality, I was thinking whether all the Pioneers were the same quality.

I saw the 525 and wasn't impressed.. BUT.. Saying that, for < 200 quid, it was plenty good enought.

But I was just worried that this would be true for the 737 too, which I am considering... If I am paying 600 quid for a player, I want decent build quality too.

19. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tuff luck pytchfork.
    I think it's time for a new DVD player.
    I don't think that there will be an upgrade coming soon for this player.
    Regionfree is regio 0.And i don't think that any RCE disc will play on it.
    Even some multiregion DVDplayer who changes automatically is having trouble with RCE dvds.
    IMO the only way to have 100% rce playback capability is to have a Player that can change it's regions manually.

jon i am not sure how well build the 737 is.
    But i know that the 737 is the high end line of dvdplayers from pioneer. Like the 7700 from sony.