Pioneer 530H vs Toshiba RDXS 34

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sea surfer, Aug 22, 2005.

1. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +812
    Hi, looking for a recorder with a large hard disc for recording from Sky, shall be playing back mostly from the hard drive although the dvd recorder might come in handy,shortlisted these two machines, in thought's which one is the better machine.

Thank's.

2. Stoofa

Stoofa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm in exactly the same position as you.
    I had my choice down to the 4 "popular" choices:

Pioneer 530H
    Toshiba RDXS-34
    Panasonic EH50
    Sony HX510s

I think I've decided not to go for either the Panasonic or the Sony simply because they have 80GB HD's as opposed to the 160GB on the Pioneer & Toshiba.
    The Toshiba can be had for quite a bit less than the Pioneer however the Pioneer has dual-layer burning whereas the Toshiba is single layer.
    However, as with you, the majority of the time I'll be watching back from HD and probably won't commit that much to DVD.

So I was all ready to place an order for the Toshiba.
    Then I went and read in a thread here that some people find the fan on the Toshiba a little bit noisy.
    So I stopped and once again I cannot make the final decision.
    Known very quiet Pioneer or risk the Toshiba for a fair amount less cash but live in fear the fan noise is annoying....

3. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Toshiba. Never aware of the fan noise. I sit about 2mtrs away from the unit. I never turn my unit off, so the fan is always on. Of course this does not mean that you will be the same.

4. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't hear the fan in my Tosh when I'm watching anything. If the room is empty and quiet and I'm beside the player, then I can hear it. From reports on the forum it appears that some machines are louder than others though I guess placement and support will also matter. I also imagine that much of the problem is subjective sensitivity.

5. GARYFORUMS

GARYFORUMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on the noise front

i'm very keen on such things , my pioneer is on a glass shelf under the "telly"
    so any sound is exposed

i'd say its very quiet - the occasional HD noise but pretty good - u can watch an hour prog and not think "whats that b*** noise"

fan noise - nonexistent !

i read about toshiba and fan noise so dipped out of buying it

like u said - i've ended up recording to HD and erasing nearly all the time

only burnt one dvd so far !

p.s. pioneer OSD is rubbish - pause bar 2/3 up screen - saying "pause" !
    but you can turn them off - phew !

6. Chrisrack

Chrisrack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Toshiba for a couple of weeks now, it's a great machine and fan noise only really noticeable when no sound on tv. When setting up use decent scart leads as I found a cheap one gave a "ghosting" when watching sky with machine switched on. It takes a while to work out how everything works, and the manual needs to be read in small doses as you try to do things. Good luck