Pioneer 530H - problem changing Sky channels

sc_UK

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've had my Pioneer 530H since June and it's worked fine, but in the past few weeks, when it records from GuidePlus, it's no longer changing the channel automatically on my Sky Digital box.

The G-link cable, GuidePlus downloads and SCART connections have all been checked and are working fine.

This problem only occurs when the Pioneer box is coming out of 'standby' to record.

I've called Pioneer, they've not been able to help.

Similar problem to the one described here

Any ideas?

Pioneer 530 - recording using Guide Plus

This is a copy of a post I made some time ago

"I have had this recorder for a couple of months now and am really happy with it and slowly learning all of the functions. When I went on holiday I set it to record various programmes on different chanels over a week and they were all perfect. However I encountered a problem last night when I went to watch some programmes I recorded over the past few days using guideplus. I checked that the programmes had recorded on the disc navigator and yes all the info was there - title, date etc however when I went to watch one I had a blank screen showing BBC4 at 6am when I wanted to record from another chanel at 6am. The next programme set for 7am recorded properly on the correct chanel (which incidentially was the same one I wanted for the first recording).
I could set the personal planner on Sky I suppose but I have never had to do that before.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what went wrong?
Thanks in advance"-
-----

Seems very similar to the problems you are having. Unfortunately all the responses did not help as I was already on standby etc. As I said it worked with all the changes for a week when I was on holiday and it does seem to be an intermittant fault. Yesterday I set several guide plus recordings and it didnt change for the 1st one but did for the others :confused:
Everything I record is a Sky chanel (not Sky+).
I would be interested to see if anyone else has had and resolved this problem.
Thanks

sc_UK said:
I've had my Pioneer 530H since June and it's worked fine, but in the past few weeks, when it records from GuidePlus, it's no longer changing the channel automatically on my Sky Digital box.

I have a problem on my 530H just with CBeebies. All other program recordings work fine whether from standby or not, but with recordings from CBeebies it doesn't bother to change the channel. If I highlight that channel in the GuidePlus setup it changes to the right channel, so it clearly knows what it should be doing, it just doesn't.

I too had a problem with Cbeebies on Saturday & Sunday mornings at 7am when the chanel didnt change, however it did change for 2 Cbeebies programmes later that day. Again it always seems to be the first schedule.

Hello, i've ordered my Pioneer DVR530 due for tuesday,
Where would i connect the g-link cable on my sky digital box (thomson)?

nadeem said:
Hello, i've ordered my Pioneer DVR530 due for tuesday,
Where would i connect the g-link cable on my sky digital box (thomson)?

It plugs into the back of the Pioneer box and the IR sensor end is located near you Sky box's IR receiving window.
This is a presumption, of course, as I don't have a Sky Digibox but I do have a Freeview tuner and have the G-link sensor stuck to the box near the IR sensor window.

:)

ah right, its a sensor, thought it plugs into the box, thanks

Have also experienced this problem on my ntl box. It occurred when I had a dvd in the machine. When it powers up it's too busy reading the dvd and doesn't switch to the desired channel. Subsequent recordings work perfectly once the machine has powered up.

Just leave your digibox on - all the problem on this seem to be on the 1st recording - logic dictates that it's the startup time of the box and consequently missing some channel signals

thickorwhat said:
I would be interested to see if anyone else has had and resolved this problem.
Thanks

JethroUK said:
Just leave your digibox on - all the problem on this seem to be on the 1st recording - logic dictates that it's the startup time of the box and consequently missing some channel signals

Yes. I leave my Freeview box on and not on standby because, unfortunately, the signal to the sensor does not do that function!

I have experienced something similar on my NTL box. With my NTL and box and Pioneer in standby mode. The pioneer 530 starts up and sends the code. The first code turns on the NTL box (it does not send a ON function), then it sends the remainder of the channel code. This of course is an invalid channel number. So, the NTL box simply switches back to the last channel you were watching and this is what it will record.

I think that safely concludes the case of the mysteriously disappearing digits Watson. Now we need to catch the 8:15 to Waterloo and get on the case of the Rajas Stolen Emerald - I think I have a clue........

:)

jch001 said:
I have experienced something similar on my NTL box. With my NTL and box and Pioneer in standby mode. The pioneer 530 starts up and sends the code. The first code turns on the NTL box (it does not send a ON function), then it sends the remainder of the channel code. This of course is an invalid channel number. So, the NTL box simply switches back to the last channel you were watching and this is what it will record.

JethroUK said:

You have no option but to leave your digibox on, because G-Link won't bring it out of standby.

The issue isn't with the digibox coming out of standby, it's the Pioneer box coming out of standby.

Leaving the Pioneer box on all the time isn't an option because it only receives GuidePlus data when in standby.

So your logic doesn't really work.

Any other ideas?

sc_UK said:
You have no option but to leave your digibox on, because G-Link won't bring it out of standby.

That depends on the digibox - not the guide - some digboxes (like most bags of electronic) will wake up when you send any old signal to it (someone posted to say it wakes his box up without losing the first digit) - not tried it myself - my box is always on

sc_UK said:
The issue isn't with the digibox coming out of standby, it's the Pioneer box coming out of standby.

Leaving the Pioneer box on all the time isn't an option because it only receives GuidePlus data when in standby.

have you checked this out - I know the pioneer has an indicator to show it's updating but that's not to say it doesn't update anyhow - The gemstar instructions on this are very inconsistant but my philips will download the guide whether it's on or off (or recording) - i leave mine on all the time but that's for other reasons - it uses a slightly different process too - mine starts recording at least one or two minutes before switching channels/programme starting

sc_UK said:
So your logic doesn't really work.

I figured the first digit was being lost waking up the digibox so the logic is sound - it's just not the right solution

sc_UK said:
Any other ideas?

Nope - i don't have a pioneer so i cant try anything - but since it did work i'm sure there is a solution - have you got buffer you can set to add a margin around the recording times?

I did what RICEMAN said, removed the DVD from the Pioneer box and it now works fine.

However it's a flaw with the machine, so it's being sent back for a refund.

I'm getting a JVC instead.

sc_UK said:
However it's a flaw with the machine, so it's being sent back for a refund.

I've caught my Pioneer doing something odd a couple of times now. It sends the first digit of the channel number to the SKY box, sits there for about twenty seconds, then sends the second and third digits. Of course, by the time the second and third digits come along, the SKY box has already cancelled the first, so the channel doesn't change.

Odd...

David.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom