1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 530H GuidePlus problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gmorrison, Aug 23, 2005.

1. gmorrison

gmorrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all

I have a Pioneer 530 and I am having problems with GuidePlus. It used to work perfectly once I'd got it set up properly (it helped to have my aerial going straight into the 530 before my Sony freeview box). However a couple of weeks ago it stopped downloading the EPG data and over the course of about a week the EPG became empty. It didn't seem to be downloading any more updates so reset the postcode information and now I can't get anything at all. I am in the London area, and I've tried every combo of postcode and setup order I can think of.

Any ideas?
    Many thanks for any help in advance

2. bencockfield

bencockfield
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having the exact problem with my 630H-S.

It used to work well, but after approx 3 months, I'm not getting any downloads. I'm using a Sony VTX-D800U Freeview connected to AV2/L1 and the aerial is directly connected to the 630, then looped to the Sony, then to the TV.

The EPG screen on the DVR is completely blank. i.e. no channels showing. EPG updates are appearing on the Sony box as well as the TV.

I did a full system reset, tuned the analogue BBC1, BBC2 and ITV ( I have poor analogue reception for 4 & 5) and set the clock manually. The DVR regularly shows "EPG" near the clock indicating that it is trying to download channels and program information, but none arrive.

Can anyone suggest something else to try, or am I left with taking it in for support?

thanks

3. BrianF

BrianF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    On systems that download the GP+ EPG from Eurosport on satellite, this problem arises when the satellite receiver loses sync with the teletext stream. I have not heard of this happening with terrestrial, cable or freeview but I guess it is worth a check. All it involves is checking to see if you can get the old style teletext on the GP+ host channel. That means tuning to that channel and using the TV remote teletext button.
    If there is no teletext then that is why there is no EPG. That could be due either to the signal having been stopped (unlikely) or (as with satellite) maybe the Freeview or cable box needs to be reset.
    If Teletext is present then the problem must be related to your setup.

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Check you are correctly receiving ITV analogue on the Pioneer by selecting the DVD Recorders tuner number 3 and watch it on your TV. The reception of the picture should be good in order to receive the teletext transmitted EPG data.

If this picture is poor or isn't being received that is why you are not getting EPG downloads. The only option when you have a Freeview box is to download EPG from analogue ITV, if you can't receive that clearly you will not get EPG downloads.

Regards

Phil

5. covlad

covlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=572679&page=1&pp=30

Hi not sure if this is relevant,& I am by no means knowledgeable on tv signals etc.

Whilst browsing the net for opinions on the Pioneer DVR 630h I found the above,a similar problem I think but USA forum.Lots of Pioneers losing EPG info after 1 month aprox.Maybe some answers there.

6. srollings

srollings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I sent an email to Pioneer about this problem and they replied

The GuidePlus information can be received via both the analogue ITV broadcast in
    the UK and via the Sky Euro sport transmission.

If you have been using the analogue ITV transmission you may need to reset the
    recorder and set it up again from scratch, to do this you need to turn on the
    recorder, without a disk in the recording mechanism and with a normal TV picture
    displayed on screen.

You then press and hold the stop button on the front panel of the recorder, then
    press and release the standby button whilst continuing to hold the stop button
    until the unit the recorder has shutdown and the time display on the recorder is
    replaced with a series of dim dashes, you can release the stop button when this
    is displayed.

Then you can restart the recorder and tune it in once more, this reset will not
    erase anything on the HDD.

You will need to tune the DVD recorder into the RF output of the Sky box, this
    means that you will need to connect via both the Scart connection and the RF
    (Antenna) cable.

Regards.
    Customer Relations
    PIONEER GB LIMITED

Have not tried it and it is intimated in the avsforums link, but if this allow me to get rid of analogue aerial my wife will be happy - for once.

7. colinthj

colinthj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Jimbo37

Jimbo37
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This all started when we had a powercut.
    I also have a Pioneer DVR 630H and currently have no EPG downloads and the Guide is empty. If its switched off it displays EPG and attempts an update but nothing ever comes down and the Guide stays empty, even when left alone for 24hrs.
    I have checked all cables (but as it worked upto the powercut, cabling shouldnt be the issue) and run through the setup multiple times with no luck. I have a Sky digi box connected directly to it for its updates. Does anyone have any idea why this has happend,we have been trying different "fixes" over the past week or so.

:lease:

9. jeremyb

jeremyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I lost my Guide+ after a power interruption: I had to reset the clock and set the host channel again. I also lost it when I set the host channel to be skipped.

10. alex812

alex812
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The link to the US forum given by covlad (see up a few) has convinced me that I'm probably on a hiding to nowhere with my 630's GuidePlus system. There are 23 pages about Pioneer and EPG and in all that lot I haven't found one fix that appeared to be permanent.

True the thread is mostly about the US versions but it doesn't take a lot of interpretation to realise that there is an unresolved problem with this series. My brother has a Freeview Pioneer and no such problems but, given the vintage of the 630, I doubt that Pioneer will provide a fix for the analogue version now.

My current status is that I get just over a day's worth of EPG except for ITV1 with shows only a few programmes, if any. The information is there as shown if you use Search, but it doesn't display in the Grid. So unless someone can provided a solution that holds steady for more than a week or so, I'm giving up on it. Shame really - the 630 is an excellent machine except for its rubbish EPG implementation.

Thanks to covlad for the link . In case you haven't read it I'll repeat it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9&page=1&pp=30 It really is worth a read.

Alex

11. alex812

alex812
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update: On basis nothing ventured, nothing gained, I tried the full reset procedure as outlined by Pioneer to 'srollings' (see up the list a bit).

When I tried GP straight after there was nothing - not even a grid. Gloom! But a short while later I noticed the EPG indicator on the front panel had come on. About 10 mins later it went off and then I found a blank grid had been installed. Let it go though the afternoon download and the grid had been fully populated. Oh joy!

I take my host channel from a roof aerial (ITV) although I normally record from a Sky box via scart. One thing I did find out was not to set up this external input initially otherwise the tuner didn't get defined as the host channel. I set this up after the short download had taken place.

How long my 630 EPG will continue working is anyone's guess.

One question - do I have to leave my ITV recording source as tuner or can I now redefine it as AV?

Alex