1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer 530 guide plus question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by molipa, Aug 16, 2005.

1. molipa

molipa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem with my pioneer 530,when it downloads the EPG at 3am the whiring noise from the fan and HD wakes me up [the unit is in my bedroom].
    Is there any way of turning the guide plus download feature off.

2. molipa

molipa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my reply from pioneer,unfortunately you cannot switch off the guide + download so i'll have to put up with the fan whirring from 3am until 5am :thumbsdow

3. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Mains switch?

Regards

Mark

4. molipa

molipa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is not advisable to constantly switch electrical items on and off via a mains switch as surges can damage power supply components within the units.
    Although it's not very enviromentaly friendly i always leave my tv's etc. on standby[power supply components at a constant temperature].

5. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many of US users reported similar problem with TVGuide (American version of GuidePlus) at www.avsforum.com

Pioneer's manual say, that if you don't enter postal code in the GuidePlus setup, it is disabled. Maybe it will be the right way for you. I have no Pioneer DVD recorde so it is only a suggestion.

Good Luck and report your results.

ArtS :)

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree if the only switch is the wall outlet and the manufacturer recommends not turning the item off, but TVs and other things with power switches of their own are built to be used with them. The only problem is the quality of some power switches.

Our Hitachi TV instruction book specifically says that it should only be left in standby for fairly short periods - up to an hour.
    Many TVs in standby leave (or used to) some of the tube components on, which why you only get the degaussing 'clunk' when the main switch is used.
    PC monitors are another offender.

Two other things: First, if everybody who leaves their TVs and other items in standby (excepting things like recorders which have to maintain timer circuits) switcheed them off when unattended, the power saved would be enough to power a sizeable city (may have been Nottingham)
    "Appliances on standby pump one million tons of carbon into the atmosphere. Wasted energy of appliances on standby could power 400,000 homes. Up to 85 per cent of power used by a video recorder is consumed on standby. Government says Britain would save 240,000 tons of C02 emissions by switching off televisions" is taken from http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/estates/environment/indep.doc

Secondly, a large proportion of housefires are attributed to TVs left in standby overnight or when the owner is away. In fact, one insurer refused to pay up fully to a TV-attributable house fire that occurred when the occupant was on holiday and he hadn't obeyed the instructions to turn off at night and when away from the house.

7. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is your download coming via Eurosport on seperate tuner - i'm wonder if the activity on the scart is waking up the recorder - if so you could try updating via ITV on built-in tuner - if you have no std aerial just buy a cheap one and plug it in

8. molipa

molipa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    downloads come from ITV analogue three times a 24 hour period.
    I Have removed my postcode in the setup menu and will see if that stops the downloads.

9. molipa

molipa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Arts,the postcode removal idea you suggested works, and of course i can reinstate the guide plus dowloads any time in the future. :thumbsup:

10. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Molipa, can you use G-Link with disabled GuidePlus?

ArtS :)

11. molipa

molipa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to appear that G link dosn't work now.