1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 530 2hr 9 min recording question widescreen

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Marin, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Marin

Marin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I recorded a widescreen film from tv onto the hdd at sp mode and edited off the credits at the end so i just have the movie which lasts 2hr 9 mins.

This is the first time i have had a recording over 2 hours and i am having some problems putting it onto a dvd.

Normally i would just do a high speed copy and it would all fit on ok and keep the widescreen aspect ratio and copy in about 5 mins.

Because this recording is over 2 hours it says it will not fit onto a dvd and has to be optimised in realtime to be able to fit. I said ok and it changed the recording mode to MN20 (130mins) automatically. The recording started in realtime. 2 hours 9 mins later it finalised the dvd and finished copying ok.

The one problem i have is that the resulting dvd is not in widescreen mode , why is this ?

I thought it kept the widescreen up until a 170 min recording (SEP)

What do i need to do to get the copy in widescreen, i dont have a problem when doing a high speed copy but i cannot do that with this title it is too large ?

Thanks

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You may be able to copy it to a DVD-RW in VR mode at MN20. Then copy it back to the HDD then do a HS copy to DVD-R. Resampling to DVD-VR is possible and as the VR format always carries WS information it should work. I suspect that both the HDD>DVD-VR and DVD-VD>HDD will have to be in real time.
    Also make sure you choose an MN mode in the SP 'band'. As soon as you stray into LP on DVD-R the WS flag disappears and you have to set your TV manually.

This may help - not sure http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157301&highlight=aspect+ratio

The only reliable way is to anticipate if possible and set to suitable rate for original HDD recording. You'll have to go into set-up to make all the MN modes available for the HDD recording.

I bought five Maxell DVD-RW discs from http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/ for temporary DVD recordings and tests.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Follow-up:

I've just done an experiment as follows, starting with an SP recording containing an Aspect Ratio change on HDD:

a) Copy HDD to DVD-RW VR mode: MN20, real time, OK. This is the sampling rate change.

b) Copy back to HDD: HS copy not allowed, real time (MN20) OK, A/R change preserved - because this is like a VR copy. (Actually, HS may be allowed here if there are no A/R changes - I only tried with the recording with the A/R change).

c1) Copy HDD from (b) to DVD-RW Video mode (i.e. like DVD-R): Frame Accurate ON, HS copy not allowed, had to be MN20 , real time, OK, A/R change lost. TV assumed 4:3 but could be manually changed.

c2) Copy HDD from (b) to DVD-RW Video mode: Frame Accurate OFF, HS copy allowed, recording splits into individual tiles at A/R changes (shows up on Copy List thumbnails), Aspect Ratio preserved for each section.

So the solution to the your problem is as follows:

Assuming the material you want is widescreen:
    1. Edit out all the 4:3 sections on the HDD - you can use Frame Accurate editing. Be careful not to leave any 4:3 frames behind. If you do then (4) will find them and you'll have to put them right there.
    2. Copy to DVD-RW VR mode in MN20, real time
    3. Copy back to HDD - still real time specifying MN20 - but see (b) above.
    4. Set Frame Accurate Off then HS copy to DVD-R. If the Copy List splits the title you didn't do (1) correctly.

If you're curious, I spent time on this to keep my own info up-to-date.

There's one thing I haven't the courage to do, and that is to join the recorder's L1 and L2 scarts together with a single cable, then start the playback (which will exit from L2), and with the record mode set to MN20 and L1, hit record. After all, the thing is capable of simulatneous playback and record, so why should it care where the signal comes from.

Anyone there who wants to live dangerously :D

4. imagineers

imagineers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can copy the VIDEO_TS files to a PC, there is a prog called IFOEDIT that will allow you to manually set the A/R to 16:9, and then you burn the dvd again and when played all is well !!!

BTW, my 530 is due any day now and I shall be doing some recording and editing from ukgold and it seems that the ad breaks start with that loud musical chord and the orange screen and I wonder if that ever interferes with editing?