Pioneer 520 + Sony Freeview + Smartlink

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dawg, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Dawg

Dawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need some help regarding the pioneer 520 dvd recorder and my sony freeview VTX-D800U.

I have the 2 boxes connected together by scart and i am trying to use the smartlink facility (this used to work fine with my sony freeview connected to an old panasonic vcr).

If i turn on the smartlink switching on the pioneer timer then switch the unit off it switches back on immediatley and starts recording.
    If i do the same again but first turn off the tv and freeview box then the 520 it stays off until the sony freeview box switches on (through its built in timer)then starts to record immediatly.

Is any one using the pioneer 520 smartlink facility, and do they have the same probs, i am wondering if my scart lead is faulty but dont want to go spend £40 on another if this is a common fault, after speaking to pioneer they tell me the 520 is smartlink triggered on pins 8-9 on the scart so i am considering if one of these might be shorting.

Any help appreciated.

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What you are experiencing is correct (unfortunately).

All the time the F'view box is on it is sending a smartlink signal.
    You have to turn off the F'view box then set the 520 to Autostart.
    As soon as the F'view box turns on, whether because of its timer or you do it manually, the 520 will start recording.
    This is a problem with smartlink and all DVD recorders that support it.
    I gave up and went back to setting both timers (Grundig Freeview box, Pioneer 420).

3. Dawg

Dawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply eddyad, yeah im not sure if the problem lies with the sony box, because i used to have it connected to an old panasonic vcr and smartlink worked a treat with that machine ie: it switched on and started the vcr recording from either the sony timer or the sony one push record button on the remote when the timer event finished it then switched the panasonic vcr off.
    I have read on the forums somebody quoting that the sony freeview box works fine with the panasonic E85 so maybe its just an incompatability between sony and pioneer (like you say "unfortunatley")

4. MikeMcr

MikeMcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The problem is with the Pioneer - it doesn't support SmartLink recording on AV2, only AV1. You have to use the "Auto Start" feature on AV2 instead, which is something different. It isn't very clear, but the clue is at the bottom of page 48 in the manual. "Direct TV Record" works using SmartLink.

Since AV1 is meant to connect to your TV, I suspect SmartLink on the Pioneer is intended to work with Integrated Digital TVs that allow you to set a timer in their EPG. Unfortunately, this is normally via a non-RGB SCART on the TV. All a bit of a mess really. :(

5. Dawg

Dawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mike that sounds like what pioneer have done and why it doesn't work correctly with the freeview box. :(
    Why cant these manufactures talk to each other and clarify some standards. Can anybody confirm that the E85 (panasonic) or any other model in the panasonic range works with the smartlink on the sony freeview box. I might purchase a panasonic and sell my pioneer if this is the case.

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I had assumed that TV Direct Record is nothing to do with Smartlink, but depends on the TV's ability to send a video (composite) signal TO the Pioneer AV1 as well as using AV1 as the normal route FROM the Pioneer. My Sony TV only has this on its scart 2. This happens because Scarts are bi-directional for composite signals. Using TV Direct Record just makes the Pioneer record from AV1, instead of AV2 or its internal tuner as is usual.

Maybe the signal from the TV is a Smartlink feature.

7. MikeMcr

MikeMcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    In my experience, Direct TV Record only works on the same SCART as SmartLink/QLink etc. When Panasonic dropped QLink support on some of their latest VCRs, out went Direct TV Record as well so I assume they are dependant on each other. Just because a TV sends a video signal the other way down the SCART doesn't mean the other device will start recording. Surely it has to send the necessary "wake up and record me" command, which I assume is where SmartLink comes in?

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I (perhaps naively) assumed that pressing Direct TV Record (on the recorder) was just like pressing normal record, except that:
    1. If the machine was in standby it turned on
    2. Recording started from AV2, instead of AV1/L1 or internal tuner.

I don't have my 420 connected to the TV's Scart 2 (the one with a composite out - smartlink enabled), but if I press TV direct Rec on the 420 remote it turns on than after about 10 secs puts up a message 'Cannot complete this operation now' which I take to mean there is no input signal coming down the scart to record.
    Smartlink continues to baffle me rather... :confused:

9. Dawg

Dawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way that i see it should work (going off how i had my sony freeview connected to my panasonic vcr) bearing in mind my tv is a Toshiba without smartlink, is:

1: All record instructions should come from the smartlink enabled Freeview box (in my case the sony) either from timer record set on the epg or by pushing the record button on the sony remote.
    Either way the Pioneer should receive the same signal (to switch on and start recording)
    2: The sony must have its own instruction set to wake up from standby and then send the smartlink signal down AV1, if either of the conditions have been met as stated in item 1.
    3: All the pioneer should have to do is receive the signal from the scart input, switch on and start recording from the same scart that has triggered it.
    When the smartlink signal stops the pioneer should just stop recording and go back to standby.

10. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree with all you say.
    Try setting the 520 to Auto Start with the Freeview box off, then turn the Freeview box on and the 520 should start. When you turn the box off the 520 should stop.
    If it doesn't, then there seems to be something wrong with the link. Check the 520 AV2-in is set to Video and not s-video (520 manual pg 102). The Sony Freeview box seems to behave strangely when it is expected to send s-video - it only seems to do it when it is happy it has a Smartlink box connected.

By the way, pressing record on the Freeview box will only work if you have a Smartlink TV AND a Smartlink recorder, and probably not using RGB which seems to be incompatible with Smartlink on Sony products - like my TV. See page 4 of Sony Freeview box manual.

Have you tried it with Freeview box Smartlink set to OFF (page 10)

When you set the Freeview box timer do you get the 'Set VCR timer' message (page 16)?

It may be the 520 should be regarded as a 'Synchro record' device rather than a Smartlink device (page 19).