Pioneer 520 and Widescreen Recordings

MikeMcr

Established Member
Reaction score
I have narrowed down my choice of DVD Recorder to a Pioneer 520 but have a few concerns about widescreen recordings after reading the online manual and a few comments made in other threads.

For example, if I record a widescreen programme from Sky One onto the hard disk (via SCART 1) it will be a mixture of 16:9 and 4:3 (adverts). Page 60 of the manual implies that I cannot transfer this onto DVD-R using the "One Touch Copy" button. Is that correct?

There also seems to be similar limitations when using the "Copy List" and widescreen material. It seems you can work around that by turning on "Frame Accurate" mode but doesn't that mean you can no longer copy edited material in high speed?

Finally, if I connect the Digibox TV output (RGB) into the recorder's SCART 1 and loop the signal to the TV via SCART 2, does it retain the widescreen switching signal generated by the Digibox so that the TV with continue to switch aspect ratio?

Thanks.

Michael

MikeMcr said:
I have narrowed down my choice of DVD Recorder to a Pioneer 520 but have a few concerns about widescreen recordings after reading the online manual and a few comments made in other threads.

For example, if I record a widescreen programme from Sky One onto the hard disk (via SCART 1) it will be a mixture of 16:9 and 4:3 (adverts). Page 60 of the manual implies that I cannot transfer this onto DVD-R using the "One Touch Copy" button. Is that correct?

There also seems to be similar limitations when using the "Copy List" and widescreen material. It seems you can work around that by turning on "Frame Accurate" mode but doesn't that mean you can no longer copy edited material in high speed?

Finally, if I connect the Digibox TV output (RGB) into the recorder's SCART 1 and loop the signal to the TV via SCART 2, does it retain the widescreen switching signal generated by the Digibox so that the TV with continue to switch aspect ratio?

Thanks.

Michael

I have 420, Grundig Freeview STB, Sony WS TV ....
1. Correct.

2. Also correct for recordings in MN18 or lower quality (LP). You should be able to do a HS copy of 16:9 material in MN19 or better, providing there are no aspect ratio changes, with Frame Accurate off.

These characteristics are not peculiar to the Pioneer - they are related to the Video recording format. You can overcome them by using -RW disks in VR mode. I'm still not absolutely sure of all the options. I may have another go over the next day or so with 16:9 recording. I'll post results

3. It depends on the digibox TV output capability and to someextent on the TV. My STB has 16:9 TV and three 4:3 TV options. 4:3 Widescreen (which chops off the sides of pics on a 4:3 TV but works OK on a 16:9 TV) does NOT switch throught to the TV. But if the STB is set to 16:9 TV it does switch through.

eddyad said:
I have 420, Grundig Freeview STB, Sony WS TV ....
1. Correct.

2. Also correct for recordings in MN18 or lower quality (LP). You should be able to do a HS copy of 16:9 material in MN19 or better, providing there are no aspect ratio changes, with Frame Accurate off.

These characteristics are not peculiar to the Pioneer - they are related to the Video recording format. You can overcome them by using -RW disks in VR mode. I'm still not absolutely sure of all the options. I may have another go over the next day or so with 16:9 recording. I'll post results

3. It depends on the digibox TV output capability and to someextent on the TV. My STB has 16:9 TV and three 4:3 TV options. 4:3 Widescreen (which chops off the sides of pics on a 4:3 TV but works OK on a 16:9 TV) does NOT switch throught to the TV. But if the STB is set to 16:9 TV it does switch through.
Thanks for the clarification.

I have a Sky Digibox set to output 16:9 and a Sony widescreen TV so hopefully I should be OK.

Your Sony TV settings may need tweaking. i've found them erratic at times. I usually watch 4:3 progs in 14:9 and with a suitable combination of options the TV switches between 16:9 and 14:9 most of the time. But sometimes it gets stuck on one or the other :confused:

eddyad said:
Your Sony TV settings may need tweaking. i've found them erratic at times. I usually watch 4:3 progs in 14:9 and with a suitable combination of options the TV switches between 16:9 and 14:9 most of the time. But sometimes it gets stuck on one or the other :confused:
Does the Pioneer loop through the signal from the two SCARTS into the TV when the recorder is turned off? Also, if you are recording using the internal analogue tuner I assume that is what you see on the TV. Is there a way to override that and monitor the SCART input? In other words, if I am recording, can I still watch Sky via the loop through?

Thanks

Michael

MikeMcr said:
Does the Pioneer loop through the signal from the two SCARTS into the TV when the recorder is turned off? Also, if you are recording using the internal analogue tuner I assume that is what you see on the TV. Is there a way to override that and monitor the SCART input? In other words, if I am recording, can I still watch Sky via the loop through?

Thanks

Michael

It loops through from L1 (AV2) input to AV1 (TV out).
It is an option whether this works with power off or not. The manual says you save more power with it disabled.
When you are recording from the tuner that is what you see from AV1. This cannot be overridden - so the answer to the last question is No.

I realise that you want to use the Sky RGB to record and use the loopthrough to watch RGB on TV. It works up to a point, apart from not being able to do it when recording analog.

This is what happens:

1. Power off: RGB and format switching loop through from an STB to the TV. TV shows the RGB picture position adjustment available as expected.

2. Power on - recording or not recording (i.e. viewing the signal going to L1): The signal going to the TV is clearly RGB (turning the STB to composite shows this), but auto-formatting is lost and the TV doesn't show the RGB picture position adjustment.

3. Power on - playback or 'chase play': The signal going to the TV is clearly RGB , and auto-formatting is on. TV shows the RGB picture position adjustment as expected.

When connected normally - STB video out > DVD L1 (AV2), STB TV < TV, DVD TV out (AV1) >TV it works as in (2) and (3)

I think that scart Pin 8 controls all this and it is not active on AV1 if the input signal is being viewed, but is active on power-off loophrough and playback.

If you watch a previous recording or use 'chase play' then auto-formatting returns and the TV recognises it has RGB input.

I hope this lot is clear :confused:

Yes, again you've been very helpful, thanks. I guess I should just stop worrying and buy one :)

I assume you are happy with yours?

Yes. I haven't found anything yet that I want to do but can't.
As you'll realise, the various combinations of options took a bit of getting used to - but that would be true of all the recorders.
The solution to the RGB problem is possibly a splitter like the three-way one in my second post in this thread
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153519
But I daen't put another box under the TV :laugh:

As a bonus, if you put in a PC CD-ROM the Pioneers will find all the jpeg images and display them. So if you have a digital camera you can put photos on a CD and watch them on the TV as a slideshow. (The Toshiba does this too, but I think not the Panasonic)

eddyad said:
Yes. I haven't found anything yet that I want to do but can't.
As you'll realise, the various combinations of options took a bit of getting used to - but that would be true of all the recorders.
The solution to the RGB problem is possibly a splitter like the three-way one in my second post in this thread
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153519
As a bonus if you put in a PC CD-ROM the Pioneers will find all the jpeg images and display them. So if you have a digital camera you can put photos on a CD and watch them on the TV as a slideshow.
You read my mind, I was just looking at that and related threads! Problem is, I'm back to worrying if they support widescreen switching information again. The one here http://www.satalogue.com/section10/page8.htm looks OK but doesn't mention widescreen switching support.

MikeMcr said:
Also, if you are recording using the internal analogue tuner I assume that is what you see on the TV. Is there a way to override that and monitor the SCART input? In other words, if I am recording, can I still watch Sky via the loop through?

Thanks

Michael

eddyad said:
When you are recording from the tuner that is what you see from AV1. This cannot be overridden - so the answer to the last question is No.

Eddyad,
I think you may be wrong on this, If you press the + button on the front panel during recording the unit will switch to scart loop thru. For more details see the Tip at the bottom of page 48 of the manual.

How could I have missed that :blush: :laugh:

Many many many thanks - it looks as if it solves the RGB problem almost completely.

The only things left are these:
The timer function on my STB can't be used from standby because when it turns on under timer control from standby it doesn't give a signal from the TV out.
If it is left switched on however it will change channels according to the timer.

Auto Start of the Pioneer can't be used because as long as the STB is on, Pin 8 of the scart is signalling and the DVD reacts to this - and if the STB is in standby the lack of the TV out would come into play as above.

So, MikeMcr, it looks as if you (and I and others) can watch the looped through scart from an external box when the Pioneer is recording from its internal tuner.
Have we finally found something the Toshiba and the Panasonic wont do :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom