1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 5100 - RGB In?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pd45, Dec 5, 2003.

1. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the Pioneer 5100 for several weeks now and am more than pleased with it, however before I brought it everyone was saying about it's lack of RGB input, this, I must admit did not unduly worry me, and still doesn't. Having said that I have seen several people on these forums who may have been put off by the lack of RGB in. (On this and several other recorders)
    I have just brought the What Video and WS TV mag and was reading their reviews of both machines (3100 and 5100), they put the lack of RGB input as a minus point and state that the majority of Digital set top box users will lose out on the best available quality, then several paragraphs later state that "recordings in Fine mode are as good as the original". If there as good as the original what is the major issue or am I missing something fundemental. !!!!
    Regards

2. Tim_UK

Tim_UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am planning on buying one of these machines in next wek or so - it is at all fussy about which blank discs you use ?

3. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got one of these myself pd45 - and it is an amazing machine. Still figuring out what it all does, but so far I've tried every region of disc, vcd, svcd, mp3 music files and even copied dvd-r and it's played the lot - that's even before I start recording.........just not enough hours in the day :smoke:

4. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stick with the branded stuff. Any cheapo unbranded discs will be spat straight out - I'm using Datawrite discs (about £18 for 25) and they seem fine. Check out some of the blank dvd retailers and you'll save a fortune! Hope that helps! :smashin:

5. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What about the Ghosting (Ready Brek glow) and over-etched outlines that What Video refers to?:confused:

6. pio5100h

pio5100h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I sometimes wonder where some (AV review) mags get their stories from.
    In no way do I claim that this or other mag is inaccurate in this case, but many times I read contradictory reports on the same device, depending on which magazine one believes.
    The pioneer produces IMHO perfect recording and playback quality images.
    Maybe on truly high end and very big screens things may be different, but I can not notice differences between live shows and recordings.

7. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My point entirely, but there are a lot of people who say RGB in is the Dogs Knackers, and lots of people on these forums who swear by it, I even remember 1 person saying that if you haven't got RGB in you may as well have VHS. I just think people saying these sorts of things will put off people who want to buy the machine in the first place - like you say (and What Video) you cant tell the difference!!!! Confusing to the consumer or what!!