Pioneer 5100 Connectivity and PQ

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by StumpyBloke, Dec 1, 2003.

1. StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have just had my Pioneer 5100 DVD Recorder. I also have:

Pioneer PDP434HDE plasma
    Sony 725 DVD (Using component connections) on input3
    Panasonic SKY Digibox

I have connected it all like this:

Screen (input1) to Digibox (input1 (TV))
    Screen (input2) to 5100 (input1)
    Digibox (input 2 (VCR)) to 5100 (input2)

When watching the picture (not recorded) through input2 (through the 5100) the picture is a bit "tinngley" (hope that makes sense). Now, if I watch the tv through input2 again, but this time with the 5100 in standby, the picture is perfect (like it always in on input1). Also, the dvd quaility when watching films on the 5100 is the same "tinngley" way.

I'm outputing from the 5100 in RGB and have selected RGB on the input settings on the screen so I dont think its this.

Other than this problem, I'm very impressed by the 5100. Any ideas?

TIA

Rich :hiya:

2. pio5100h

pio5100h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    StumpyBloke,
    I also have the 5100h AND unfortunately experience the same
    phenomena you mention.
    Edited: !!!So called PQ "problem" solved: I had messed up my TV unit settings vs recorder settings to try to get an optimal image.
    All is now OK. Sorry, human error.
    Only the 5100h, connected to TV (RGB in thru scart connection,
    bought expensive special cable to avoid interference problems).
    Pass-thru using the RF cable.
    But it also seems that pass-thru, when the recorder is in STANDBY no longer functions correctly? like it did with my S-VHS recorder. It seems to somehow interfere.
    -------OK: the above in fact already indicated I made a mistake, not the recorder PQ was at fault: both the recorder and the RF signal exhibited the problem: could not be caused by the recorder -------
    Maybe selecting the RGB in setting is causing this, but it should not, cause my TV is especially prepared for it, and this does not explain it when the recorder is in standby.
    But what YOU describe, only "noice" when the 5100 is ON can be attributed to 1. the tuner is not of the same quality as your TV tuner OR 2. you selected DVD-mode which always is an encoded mpeg2 image you look at.
    Otherwise, the 5100h is a true dream-machine !!

3. Mark.balcombe

Mark.balcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    pio5100 - could you let me know if you have noticed the ghosting that What Video has mentioned on their review of the 5100 in their latest issue.

I was hoping that this was a pre-production model but am not so sure.

Have you noticed this problem with the recorder?

thanks,

Mark

4. pio5100h

pio5100h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello again Mark,
    If you read my thread (answer for you) to the 'shootout' issue, I can only state the same about the supposed 'ghosting' effect.
    I am unsure/dunno (yet anyway).
    I am going to pick up an issue of "What Video" to read that review.
    Concerning this: what issue of What Video - Widescreen TV ?? do you refer to. I can't see it from the TOC in the december issue.
    Do you have the Jan '04 issue already?
    Thx.

5. Mark.balcombe

Mark.balcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes its in the Jan 2004 awards issue. They review the 3100 and 5100 machines. Both get 4 stars but they mention the ghosting effect on both machines.

Mark

6. StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi pio5100

OK, I've had another play around and have had some success. I have my recorder going into input2 on my 434. I didnt realise that input2 doesnt support RGB (whereas 1 and 3 do but are both used up). I've now set input2 on the screen and AV1 output on the 5100 to SVideo and the pic is much improved. There still a small amount of "tizzing" but much better.

Mark.balcombe - There is no ghosting that I have noticed - the picture is pretty damn good now, but still not as good as when the 5100 is in standby :)confused: :confused: )

Would you have you sky digibox or your 5100 going to your RGB input on the screen. Also, what have you set your AV2 to on the 5100?

Cheers

Rich :hiya:

7. Mark.balcombe

Mark.balcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    another quick question for the Pio 5100 owners.

I only have 1 RGB scart on my tele so my Sky box will be plugged into the AV2 on the 5100. The 5100 AV1 RGB will then go to the TV RGB Scart.

If I am recording say BBC1 on the 5100 (from RF) can I still watch a SKY channel with RGB (i.e. can you still view the RGB SKY signal with the 5100 on and recording?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Mark

8. pio5100h

pio5100h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    StumpyBloke,
    I am going to test the PQ of the pio5100H output (RGB in to scart1) against the Philips DVD player DVD 733 on scart2 - composite.
    It is good to hear other output settings do improve matters.
    One would expect the pio to emit a much better signal/picture.
    If I have more info I will put it on this forum.
    Mark,
    I can't help you there I'm afraid. We here in Belgium don't unfortunately don't have sky (box), we do have other 'boxes', but that would be another matter and of no help in your situation.
    I have read about setups for sky with other DVDR's.
    It can be found on this forum, somewhere.
    It can (probably) be done, but since I did not have that problem I did not really read through it all.
    Other people here can surely help you.
    Good Luck both.