Pioneer 5100 chapters?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kulashaker0, Aug 14, 2004.

1. kulashaker0

kulashaker0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Pioneer 5100 to transfer all my home movies on to DVD with fantastic results but I am struggling to figure out how the whole chapter thing works? I have put one of my recordings onto the hard disc and chaptered it up in 15 chapters, the starting frame of each chapter can be seen in thumbnails on the hard drive. But once I burn this movie to disc the only thumbnail that can be seen once finalized is the title one (the first frame of the first chapter), the 15 chapters are still where they should be but I would like to know if there is a way of viewing these in thumbnails on a starting menu?
    Also does anyone have any idea why the Direct TV Record function won't work, I know my TV supports this feature because my VCR also has this feature and it works perfectly?
    Thanks in advance, Dean. :lease:

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Here is how you do it:
    From the raw hard drive footage, edit out the individual chapers, label each with a title, arrange in the order you want, and this becomes the playlist which you can burn to disc.(Without affecting the original footage.)
    When you come to finalise the disc, you will see an option to create a title for the disc itself, which gives various different styles. Pick the one you want, type in the disc title, and then finalise the disc. When this disc is inserted in a normal DVD player you should see the title menu appear, with all the chapters and thumbnails you created.
    ...If I have missed anything, I guess someone else will correct me !
    Hope this helps.

3. kulashaker0

kulashaker0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the speedy reply but as far as I can tell there is now way of naming each chapter individualy or of being able to view the thumbnails of the chapters when finalizing the disc and enabling it to be played on other machines? Titles themselves can be renamed but because the movie itself is just one title containing the 15 chapters then that means I can only edit the name of the main title.
    Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards, Dean.

4. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dean

I am a total newbie (currently awaiting my first recorder - the Pioneer 520), which means I have no hands on experience, so please don´t shoot me if some of my advice is wrong ;) (only trying to help) - but I´m sure someone with more knowledge corrects me if I´m wrong.

If you insert chapter marks in a title on the HDD and dub it to disc, I think the only benefit you get is to be able to jump forwards/backwards in the same title.

By the way I´m pretty sure that chapter marks are only retained if you do a high-speed copy, so if you have changed the bitrate to fit the title on a disc they are not retained.

As far as I can tell (from the 520-manual) you cannot name chapters - only titles (as you also state), and this means that you have to divide the title 14 times, so you get 15 titles that can be individually named and thumbnail´ed - and thus appear in the menu on the finalized dvd.

To do this without affecting the original recording, create a playlist (as JH4 suggests), which means that the editing does not affect the original title.

Question to other users: But when I think about it: If you divide the title in more titles, will this not mean a small break between each title ? On commercial dvd´s you have the option to choose a given scene from a menu, but you don´t notice these 'breaks' when watching the movie.

On my Philips tv there are 3 scarts (ext1-3), but it is only ext2 that supports this feature (Philips´name for it is Easylink), so perhaps it will work if you connect the 5100 to the vcr´s scart.

- in my case the tv accepts rgb-input on both ext1 and ext2, but in some cases the 'easylink'-scart only accepts s-video input.

Regards,
    Mike72

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 5100 and have always assumed that multiple thumbnails are not possible within one title,and turning one title into multiple titles could cause a pause between titles as it would normally do.JH4-have you actually performed this action or is your explanation based on theory?
    Yes-your chapter points are only retained in high speed mode.Real time copying inserts a chapter point at 5 or 10 minutes,depending on how you have set it up.
    I have just looked on the machine.The only way to create multiple titles is to divide the single one up.But this will result in a pause when playback moves from one title to another.So its no good.
    According to the manual.PLAYLIST is only available on -RW(VR)-and not HDD.Seems odd

6. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have the 420 and it allows you to divide a single title (recording) into multiple titles and assign their own titles using the "Divide" option. It does not split the file only the titles and assigns start and end points.

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes,but this will give you a pause between titles.No use for a single show

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I 've had a 420 for a few days and just getting to grips with some of the editing. I've come to the conclusion that by 'title' Pioneer mean a single recording. A recording can be divided near the start and end to get rid of commercials and then these short pieces can be deleted, leaving the main recording intact. Then Erase Section will remove intervening commercials.
    A couple of other things I've found: The scart loops through while analog recording is in progress and also in power off mode (although the manual says you can save more power by turning this off). This means that TVs with only one scart can be fed from a set top box for example, through the 420's scart 'chain'. Or it can just reduce the number of TV scarts needed. I've also discovered that the 420 feeds BACK its recording signal to the STB, (a Grundig GDT1000) which has its own loop-through from its video out to its TV out, potentially another scart eliminating route.
    Small minus points: It would be nice to switch to Auto-record (i.e. start from external box timer) with one button on the handset instead of using the menu. But Auto-record works fine. Also no RF output of recorded material.

9. kulashaker0

kulashaker0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems like I'm not the only one to be confused by this subject at least. I would say that if anyone from Pioneer reads this forum then it would be a good idea to include a one thumbnail template when finalizing a disc with just one title, then the menu on the finished disc wouldn't look so out of place with the single title thumbnail?