Pioneer 5100 - are the hard disks noisy?

bluesfan

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm after the Pioneer 5100 but if the hard disk is noisy I might just buy a single DVD disc type. How noisy are the hard disks- with quiet music/passages?

Under normal use,you will not even know you are using a HDD.

Don't forget,if you don't have sky+ with an s-video output,your digital tv recordings will be a bit below par as the 5100 has no RGB input.Howver,I think you will fnd its an excellent machine,offering goodies not available on any other HDD/DVDR currently

hi there,

i just got the 5100 and yes the hdd does hum a little (no more than a pc hd though) i've been watching tv and movies and it hasn't bothered me in the slightest. i can only hear it when it's absolute silence and even then it's not too bad.

when you get your 5100 check out my post about combining chapters. i can't seem to do it so it would be great if you could offer any advice

cheers

Interesting point about combining chapters. On a self made DVD, each chapter point goes back to the menu which causes a momentary picture freeze. Is that your symptom ? PM me if you want to swap info.
Another point - although it has long recording capabability, the 5100 will only record for a maximum of 6 hours at a single title, whichever way you set it up, either "one touch" or timed, even to the hard drive. Do any other machines offer more ?
No discernable disc noise tho.

yeah it's the picture freeze i don't want! i am editing scenes together on the hdd for copy onto a dvd -R. i figured the way to correct the pic freeze was to combine the chapters but it tells the function is not allowed

6 hours is the max on the Panny HS2(so presumably all of them) and even on Sky+ aswell.
Regarding freezing-a thing to try is to alter the "frame accurate editing" setting.With this switched on,you can't high speed copy,but I believe it eliminates freezing at chapter edits.I don't know for sure,but try it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom