Pioneer 50XDE Bad Pixel

H

Huddy1982

I tok delivery of my 50" pioneer XDE yesterday afternoon and its awesome :thumbsup: . I went to comet and did the "compare Pan and Pio" and chose the Pio.

After setting the plasma up on its stand I went to wipe it with the cloth provided and noticed a dead pixel.

I called my reseller and he asked me to contact the dealer. I called Pioneer and they say that within their disclaimer one faulty pixel does not warrant as need of a swap out. The customer relations guy at Pioneer did mention that I have 6 days customer rights and could ask for a swap out with the reseller if not happy.

Am I being picky??? :rolleyes: i have just forked out £3500 and I dont want any dead pixels..... Different if after a few months one blows but not when its straight out of the box

What would other people do???

I will post a picture up this afternoon of the plasma and setup

Thanks

Rob

I bought a used MXE1. I am not sure if I would have bought it if it had a dead pixel .... So I would try and get it changed

I know nout about teles but get it swapped under the 7 day rule!

I bought a 436xde from Comet, noticed a problem with plasma screen a small pimple in the surface. Asked for a replacement, the replacement arrived, I asked the delivery guys to wait while I checked it. Found a dead pixel, I rejected the plasma, the delivery guys took it away.

Comet are now going to deliver another replacement, what I would say is that you can ask for a replacement, but the replacement may also have a dead pixel(s)!. I'm thinking how many times can I reject on the basis of dead pixels. So reject the plasma, and hope the new is ok.

Guys, how many times do you think you can get Comet to replace plasma that has a dead pixel?? ( bought via web). Its just that Huddy1982 and myself are in the same predicament.

Unless it is clearly pointed out to you at the time of the sale, that you may have to accept a certain amount of faulty pixels, then the screens should be replaced until either yourself, or the retailer, gets fed up with the situation and you receive a full refund.

It's fair to expect anything to be 100% working if nothing to the contrary was pointed out to you before you handed over the money.

If anyone accepts a plasma screen with a faulty pixel(s) from new, don't forget, if you come to sell it on it will reduce the salability and re-sale value considerably. If you do decide to accept a "faulty" screen the purchase price should be reduced accordingly.

The company I got the plasma from are BuyYourAV which actually advertise on this website/forum. Do you think it would be fair for me to ask for a plasma to be sent to me and I'll make sure all is ok and then they can take the faulty one?

What happens if they turn around and say that they cant swap it out?

Thanks

I think it would probably depend on who delivers the replacement plasma as to wether or not they are willing hang around until it is fully checked out. Some retailers will check a plasma out for dead pixels etc for you before they send them out - sometimes there is a charge for this. I would say have a word with the retailer and tell them the situation and hopefully they will sort something out.

At the end of the day you are covered by the Distance Selling Regulations seven day cooling off period anyway, so you can always get you money back if it comes to that.

Buying a plasma screen can be a difficult one for both consumers and retailers.

Hi,

I'm picking up my 436 from Comet this afternoon – and am now worried about the dead pixel issue (definitely don't want any). Is there anyway if, once I get it home, I can take it back should the problem be present. My concern is I won't be covered by any distance selling rules, and from speaking to them I suspect they'll just say 'a certain amount are acceptable.'

The Cowboy,

I know people like to buy from a bricks and mortar place when it comes to expensive products like this, but with this gear it really is the exception, having the 7 day distance rule helps you get out of a very tricky mess.
I would have been gutted if I had a dead pixel on my screen, unless it was near an edge then it wouldn't bother me at all, and don't know if I would have sent it back either, I would have asked and I am sure the guys at AV-Sales would have probably swapped it, but if they said no I would not have pushed it. I would have tried to sell it on at a loss and started again though, but who would want to buy it unless it was really cheap?

gizlaroc said:
The Cowboy,

I know people like to buy from a bricks and mortar place when it comes to expensive products like this, but with this gear it really is the exception, having the 7 day distance rule helps you get out of a very tricky mess.
I would have been gutted if I had a dead pixel on my screen, unless it was near an edge then it wouldn't bother me at all, and don't know if I would have sent it back either, I would have asked and I am sure the guys at AV-Sales would have probably swapped it, but if they said no I would not have pushed it. I would have tried to sell it on at a loss and started again though, but who would want to buy it unless it was really cheap?

Point taken, but as you can see I'm pretty committed at this point. Also, I was badly burned by an online firm a while back which put me off (although obviously there are tons of reputable outfits, I just picked a wrong'un). So in conclusion, am I pretty much screwed if I take the unit away, get it home, and find pegged out pixels?

Yeah!

:(

cowboy, i didnt realise comet actually stocked the tv's? you sure they have them? if they do ask them if you can see you one before you pay for it, if they say they dont have time ask if you can bring it back due to dead pixels. if they say yes get the name of the person who said it.

shops like comet and currys will ALWAYS turn round and not accept screens due to dead pixels, it really annoys me that they can get away with it, they do it because they know they are big and they know they can push people around, even if you threaten to take them to court they well say "go on then".

treat comet and the dixons group like market traders, if you cant see it working walk away. when it comes to expensive TV's online is the only way as its covered for you to return it just for the hell of it, and is often 25% cheaper than comet/currys too

Unless it states on the information along side the plasma in question eg 1280 x 720 pixels approximately, could be less or some phase with the same meaning, then you can expect all pixels to work when you get your plasma home. It they don't all work take it back - your entitled to a full refund by law.
Some key facts from: Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)
These key points go on to inform consumers of what they are entitled to between six months and six years after purchase.

Don't the manufacturers cover the retailers butt's by putting in the user manual that some units may ship with dead pixels and this is not a fault? That is why the 7 day e-shopping rule seems so useful in this particular case.

acrmorris said:
Don't the manufacturers cover the retailers butt's by putting in the user manual that some units may ship with dead pixels and this is not a fault? That is why the 7 day e-shopping rule seems so useful in this particular case.
I'm sure manufacturers hope that many people will think "Oh well" when they eventually read the small print on page 72, then just accept the faulty pixels in this case. I strongly suspect that most people do accept this get out clause, but quite simply it's not what the Sale of Goods Act etc states.

Steve Zodiac said:
Unless it states on the information along side the plasma in question eg 1280 x 720 pixels approximately, could be less or some phase with the same meaning, then you can expect all pixels to work when you get your plasma home. It they don't all work take it back - your entitled to a full refund by law.

These key points go on to inform consumers of what they are entitled to between six months and six years after purchase.

Thanks for this Steve. Im pretty committed to the purchase so fingers crossed!

Hi

I had a pixel stuck on red when I got my 506xde 2 weeks ago. Rang Pio and they said it wasnt a fault if just one pixel was faulty, but if You look in the manual it says if you can see it on a normal picture from 2.5 to 3.5 metres away contact your dealer. The dealer willingly swapped it out a week later as soon as a delivery turned up. Download nokia monitor test and run the RGB & B&W test patterns to check the screen...There is a whitepaper for ISO standards, and technically something like less than 3 is supposed to be acceptable... Just that for 3.5K I want all my 2.9 million pixels healthy...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom