Pioneer 50MXE1....info please

gandley

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to stick a plasma upstairs and i want to get a bit more info on this model, i take it its mostly the same as the 504 HDE without the crappy media box.

Has anyone seen this in action yet(dealer day with pioneer?)

I see you can have the option of two input cards, the PDA-5003 or PDA-5004. again anyone know the difference between these two etc

Hows things going to work with HDCP (ie from DVD player)etc

Any advice will be usefull

Gandley, various has been posted, but all scattered about. A unique thread a good idea. One or 2 demo ones have been seen, stock is expected last month. There is no HDCP compliance. Yes I know how irritating this is. But not for the vast majority of MX sales. And in any case, you are back to square 1 with HDMI, it won't put out native res anyway, and as this new model is cheaper than the old one, you can all afford a brilliant scaler to go with it. Make Gordon smile, or that nice Mr Bone from Owl according to preference. I am as yet unconvinced by digital output DVD players, but am firmly convinced by iscan HD's and I'm sure Gordon will convince me about Lumagen when he gets around to it! The usual suspects are working on an new video card for it's open architecture card slot, so HDCP may be available at some time in the future. Here's hopng, and maybe just in time for decent, affordable, 2nd generation digital output DVD players.

gandley,

The Aurora A303-HDCP and A304-HDCP cards are already available for HDCP protected sources, if used with an adapter to fit the larger slot of the 4th gen plasmas. A new Aurora card is in development which has one DVI-I, 2x HDMI, and one S-video/composite. The PDA-5003 card has one S-video input, one composite input (BNC), and one RGB/YPbPr input (5xBNC). The PDA-5004 has one S-video input, one composite input (RCA), and one YPbPr input (RCA). Hope this helps.

Steve

Hello all

Yes actually got to see Production 50MXE1 units last week - Charcoal and Silver and hopefully have a dem unit very soon.

We didn't get much time for a play and mostly we were viewing a PowerPoint Presentation and Off Air High Def from a Euro1080 feed - which was a portable set up for any happy campers out there!!!

The basics on the MXE1 are the same Front Filter and Plasma glass as the 04HDE and the same all Digital Video processing as the R04 Media Box - though with a better user and integrator menu (you can even do a bit of set-up without having video sources attached - which will make anyone who's tried to use an 03MXE smile).

You have more control of the picture parameters without going into engineering menus so set up and calibration will be less hassle/more accurate (Gordon).

Key feature for those with an external processor being the option to switch off Frame Rate Conversion - we didn't get to try this though I'm told it works well.

HDCP (or lack of) on the DVI port is a pain - its in there but at present not active. It may be something that reappears at some stage - that's down to the lawyers I guess.

Aurora A304-HDCP plus the adapters for the new longer slot will be available next month in Europe - though I've still to get a firm price for the adapters.

Pioneer are pushing the expandability of the card slots - in fact its now got its own catch line 'Expansion Solutions' and a new process to ensure cards that are being released by third party developers are Pioneer approved and don't invalidate warranties.

I'm not sure when the NEW Aurora card is due - I'll try and get an update.

Best regards

Joe

Hello,

I just read the article on the new pio 50mxe1. There seems to be an
option to exclude the internal framerate conversion to 70hz. Very interesting
for pal signals through a iscan hd dvi into the plasma.
I downloaded the manual but could not find any info on thsi subject.
Is this absolutly sure?

Thanks,
Bart

bartbs

The Frame Rate Conversion (FRC) lock/unlock function is definitely in the Plasma menu - hopefully we will have stock of the 50MXE1 and 43MXE1 very soon and we'll have it hooked up to our Lumagen VisionHDP in jig time.

Best regards

Joe

Thanks for the info Joe.

I just got an e-mail form a technical person from Pioneer in Londen.

You can put the frc function into "normal" and "on". when it is in normal all (PC) signals will be converted to 70Hz, for video signals 60Hz = complete synchronization and 50Hz will be converted to 75Hz.

When in "on" mode PC signals 60Hz = completely synchronize on all resolution.
(i don't understand this.) for vide signals : 50Hz is completely synchronize.

As i understand it , there is no way you can output a 50Hz pc signal, dvi, from a scaler (iscan hd) without the pio converting the framerate. Maybe i don't get it right?

I am looking forward to your test results,

Best regards,
Bart

I've had my 50MXE-1 for nearly a week now and am very pleased with it. Unfortunately the Lumagen VisonPro HDP still hasn't arrived. So I've been playing around with the integrator menu etc but cannot work out what mode1,mode2 and mode3 do on the FRC setting.

Hopefully one of these settings will bypass the internal frame conversion, has anyone worked this out yet?

Thanks Gordon :thumbsup:

Probeski,

Mode 2 converts 50hz to 100hz and is pretty good. I have noticed the odd shudder but the FRC is a big improvement over the 503MXE in this respect.

Gaz

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom